[URN] Java URN Framework Impl Available (V0.2)

Justin Couch <couch@ccis.adisys.com.au> Tue, 22 December 1998 17:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 23:13:19 +0800
From: Justin Couch <couch@ccis.adisys.com.au>
To: IETF URN WG <urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com>
Subject: [URN] Java URN Framework Impl Available (V0.2)
Sender: owner-urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com

Long promised, finally delivered...

This is the second release of a URN/URI implementation in Java.

The first release was oriented purely around the UMEL requirements and
(I don't think was notified to this list). Now, having undergone an
extensive re-write, it now is a much more general implementation.

While you're downloading (then read on):

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/java/urn/urn_0.2.zip
http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/java/urn/urn_0.2.tar.Z

ftp://ftp.vlc.com.au/pub/urn_0.2.zip
ftp://ftp.vlc.com.au/pub/urn_0.2.tar.Z

(BTW, this is the _only_ documentation, apart from the javadoc, that
comes with the classes. Don't delete this email!)

As you may have gathered from my questions over the past few weeks, the
implementation today is more interested in being a framework for
gathering multiple RDS implementations and dealing with the associated
high level management problems this generates rather than one particular
implementation. Therefore, using the wonderful :) plug & pray
architecture of the code, you can quickly test different implementations
of the same RDS without recoding your application. It's actually built
so that you can change most of the parameters on the fly within your
code (eg changing system properties without restarting the app) with a
moderate level of optomisation built in.

The design has been heavily influenced by the java.net.URL class and
general Java coding philosphy. That is, there are many ways to acheive
the same end. For example, adding an RDS can use either a factory
producer, a system property or a default package name. The order for
querying RDSs may be either through a file or a system property. etc
etc. I'm trying to take a holistic view to URN/URL/URI/URC rather than
just trying to bolt bits to the outside of the current java language
stuff. Hence you'll see a new URL class there that replaces the standard
Java one (although currently the method signatures look identical!). At
this stage, I'm only partly holistically implemented.

At this stage, the code is going out, not for application use, but for
concept testing. That is, am I barking up the right tree? Most of the
design decisions have been based on educated guesses as I can't find any
scrawlings on dealing with most of the issues relating to dealing with
multiple RDS's. I intend to write up something about it over the next
week, but haven't yet (blood level getting high in the caffine system).
Also, I feel that its raised some questions that I'll be directing at
specific people.

With the code is a very, very simple resolver for a very small case for
the vrml NID and uses a file based definition of the resolution that can
be done (it doesn't do I2R, only I2L). The idea is that you use this as
a guide to implementing your own. I do intend to implement other
resolvers based on DNS and JINI, but that comes at some time later after
I have the basic framework complete. For example, I haven't started
implementing the ResourceConnection stuff yet.

To run the test code (after the usual classpath setup) try the
following:

java -Durn.resolve.pkgs=org.vrml.umel.net.resolve \
-Durn.resolve.order=file URNTest

which should produce a bunch of ugly text output.

For the mop up: The package will definitely change from its current. I'm
split as to whether I should do something like org.ietf.uri.net or use
one of several different company based packages.

Licensing - Ha, what's that. If the code works, use it. Ignore anything
in the file. It's a mess and every one says something different. If you
do use it and do some debugging/mods, I'd love to know about it. If you
implement RDS's that you'd like to contribute to the public domain cause
let me know too! Once I get close to a V1.0 there'll be something like
BSD or LGPL put onto it.

Finally, don't spread this too wide at the moment. It's early days yet.
Many changes, many bugs (I've only half tested most of the code). As
always, happy to answer questions (I'll be here between Christmas and
New Years - no holidays for me this year).

Enjoy!

--
Justin Couch
Senior Software Engineer                           VRML-Java Author