Re: [urn] Document status and related issues - semantics clarification (replacing urns-are-not-uris)

"Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com> Wed, 03 September 2014 15:26 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:25:23 -0400
From: "Leslie Daigle (TCE)" <ldaigle@thinkingcat.com>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, urn@ietf.org, Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Subject: Re: [urn] Document status and related issues - semantics clarification (replacing urns-are-not-uris)

[Re-sending from the address that is actually subscribed to the list...]

Hi,

Thank you for updating the document, and in such short order after the
WG meeting!

I read through it, and I feel I am being a little dense, or maybe caught
between a couple of known edit disconnects.

Reading through it, it seems to me that there are 2 problems to solve:

+ identify, agree and articulate how the URN syntax relates to URI
syntax, as captured in RFC3986.  This is Section 6 in the document.

+ ensure that there are persistent identifiers, presumably URIs, that
"meet the needs of the Library, Museum, Publisher, and Informational
Sciences communities and other users".   Some of the requirements for
this are captured in the Appendices.

The first ought to happen, no matter what, and is in fact the focus of
this WG's charter.  It could actually happen without addressing the
second problem, at least from a strictly logical perspective.

I realize that would not be very satisfying -- as the latter was what
provided the motivation for the working group in the first place, and
I'm not actually suggesting we do that.

In fact, I thought where we landed in Toronto was that we should first
focus on figuring out how to address those issues -- ensure URI
persistent identifiers that meet the requirements and _then_ see whether
such persistent URIs were, or could be, URNs as defined by the IETF
(i.e., solving the first problem by applying the results of the discussion).

In terms of the document, here are a couple of the things that make me
wonder about disconnects:

1/ The abstract addresses the second problem, but couches it in terms of
the first:

    "Experience has shown that identifiers associated with persistent
    names have properties and requirements that may be somewhat different
    from identifiers associated with the locations of objects.  This is
    especially true when such names are expected to be stable for a very
    long time or when they identify large and complex entities.  In order
    to allow Uniform Resource Names (URNs) to evolve to meet the needs of
    the Library, Museum, Publisher, and Informational Sciences
    communities and other users, this specification separates URNs from
    the semantic constraints that many people believe are part of the
    specification for Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) specified in
    RFC 3986, updating that document accordingly.  The syntax of URNs is
    still constrained to that of RFC 3986, so generic URI parsers are
    unaffected by this change.

For a different document (one addressing the persistent identifier
issue), I might write the abstract very slightly differently:

    Experience has shown that identifiers associated with persistent
    names have properties and requirements that may be somewhat different
    from identifiers associated with the locations of objects.  This is
    especially true when such names are expected to be stable for a very
    long time or when they identify large and complex entities.  In order
    to allow Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) to meet the needs of
    the Library, Museum, Publisher, and Informational Sciences
    communities and other users, this specification outlines the
    specification of a persistent identifier scheme which is separate
    from the semantic constraints that many people believe are part of
    the specification for Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) specified
    in RFC 3986.  The syntax of these identifiers is still constrained
    to that of RFC 3986, so generic URI parsers are unaffected by this
    change.

2/ For historic reasons, I have a lot of heartburn with this para:

    IETF in RFC 1738 [RFC1738] -- as an embodiment of the locator concept
    and Uniform Resource Names (URNs), specifically those using the "urn"
    scheme [RFC2141], as an embodiment of the names that do not directly
    provide for resource location.  This specification is concerned only
    about URNs of the variety described in RFC 2141 [RFC2141] (i.e.,
    those that use the "urn" scheme).  URLs, other types of names, and
    any URI types that may not fall into one of the above categories are
    out of its scope and unaffected by it.

RFC2141 defines the syntax for URNs, period.  Not "the URN: URI scheme".
  For URNs.    I don't take exception to people hating that approach to
URNs :-)  but insofar as the IETF defines standards, it defined the
standard for URNs once.

There can be (and already are) any number of other approaches to
persistent identifiers that are more or less URN-like, but they are
persistent identifiers, Persistent Resource Names, Uniform Persistent
Identifiers, whatever.

If the IETF starts talking about multiple possible specifications for
URNs, we're in trouble, IMO.

Leslie.