Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01.txt

Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de> Mon, 17 October 2011 22:31 UTC

From: Alfred Hönes <ah@TR-Sys.de>
To: urn@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:29:14 +0200
Subject: Re: [urn] I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01.txt

URNbis folks,
the IETF draft submission system has announced the availability
of an updated WG draft:

> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised
> Working Group of the IETF.
>
>   Title       : Using International Standard Book Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
>   Author(s)   : Maarit Huttunen
>                 Juha Hakala
>                 Alfred Hoenes
>   Filename    : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01.txt
>   Pages       : 20
>   Date        : 2011-10-17
>
>    The International Standard Book Number, ISBN, is a widely used
>    identifier for monographic publications.  Since 2001, the URN
>    (Uniform Resource Name) namespace &quot;ISBN&quot; has been reserved for ISBNs.
>    The namespace registration was performed in RFC 3187 and applied only
>    to the ISBN as specified in the ISO Standard 2108-1992, now known as
>    &quot;ISBN-10&quot;.  To allow for further growth in use, the successor ISO
>    Standard, ISO 2108:2005, has defined an expanded format for the ISBN,
>    known as &quot;ISBN-13&quot;.  This document defines how both of these ISBN
>    standard versions can be supported within the URN framework.
>    Moreover, additional syntax related information required by the RFC
>    2141[bis] has been included.  An updated namespace registration is
>    provided.  It describes how both the old and the new ISBN format can
>    share the same namespace.
>
>    This document replaces RFC 3187; it also obsoletes and moves to
>    Historic status the predecessor thereof, RFC 2288.
>

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01.txt

> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-01.txt

[[ speaking as a co-author and editor of the draft ]]

The draft as well as a HTML diff to its predecessor version will soon
be available via the WG's "home page", http://tools.IETF.ORG/wg/urnbis/

The major differences of this draft version from its predecessor are
listed in Appendix A.2 of the new draft as follows:

A.2.  draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00 to -01

   - discussion on persistence altered, based on list discussion;
   - changes and amendments to discussion of URN resolution services;
   - discussion of fragment part usage added;
   - broken link to ISBN manual fixed based on feedback from [ISBNORG];
   - various editorial fixes and enhancements.

Best regards,
  Alfred.

--

| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |