Re: [urn] editorial comments on draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-01

jehakala@mappi.helsinki.fi Wed, 05 March 2014 15:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 17:30:34 +0200
From: jehakala@mappi.helsinki.fi
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
Cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] editorial comments on draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-01

Hello,

Quoting John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>:

> Hi.
>

> Observation from a participant in this WGs who thinks the work
> is very important and who has some experience with how the IETF
> works, but no official role in the WG other than being willing
> to help with writing: When WG drafts are posted and met with
> dead silence (or silence except from an extremely small number
> of people, the usual IETF tendency is to assume that the WG is
> dead, no one cares, and that, if it produces any work, that work
> doesn't represent enough meaningful consensus to be moved
> forward.

In this case, these conclusions may be at least partially wrong.

The organizations which currently use URNs or other persistent
identifiers most actively do not normally participate actively in the
IETF work. Therefore they may not follow what is going on, or they may
just be lurking (I know several people who are doing exactly that.

The eagerness to just lurk was strengthened when discussions on the
list veered away from (what for instance we librarians) consider
practical issues related to resource identification into more
fundamental issues of what it means to use fragment and query in URNs
and how that relates to the generic URI syntax.

> Barry has been extremely patient, I think because he
> shares my/our sense of importance, but I'm very concerned about
> how we move forward this way.   This is especially important
> because a few of us have been thinking about a very radical move
> to get the various issues of syntax, properties of the name or
> named object versus things that can be done only after it is
> retrieved, and so on unstuck.  That move would be, IMO,
> impossible without strong backing from the WG.  Because just
> raising it would probably stir up a lot of controversy, I (at
> least) haven't even been willing to explain it on this mailing
> list.

It may be difficult not to bring these issues up eventually. The
conclusions we have at least tentatively drawn are not exactly a
perfect match with RFC 3986.

Juha