Re: [urn] Review period Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt

Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi> Fri, 20 April 2012 12:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:05:04 +0300
From: Juha Hakala <juha.hakala@helsinki.fi>
To: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
Cc: urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] Review period Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt

Hello,

Leslie Daigle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This document questions the 2-week mailing list review period for formal
> namespace registrations, suggestion 4 weeks (or possibly 8).

I had a similar concern. But following the discussion in IETF 83 it
seems that even 2 weeks is sufficient, provided that each iteration (new
version of the namespace registration) gets the same two weeks.

> What I've seen (as the designated expert that needs to be replaced):
>
> + namespace proposals that don't  get published as I-D's
>  -- Step 0:  please publish this as an I-D

Some target communities lack the expertise needed. It is hard to
eliminate this problem.

> + namespace proposals that don't follow the correct version of the RFC
>  -- authors need guidance about current version
>
> + namespace proposals that need to be cleaned up in terms of having
> reasonable explanations in the Considerations sections
>  -- offer guidance and repeat

"Unreasonable" may mean at least two different things. First, some
required bits may be missing completely. These problems are easy to
spot. Second, we may receive namespace registration which is not
functional. For instance, we may have a non-semantic (dumb) identifier,
and the namespace registration describes a decentralized resolution
mechanism. In this case there would be no hint how to find the correct
resolver. Of course these problems do not need to be glaringly obvious
like the one described above. Subtle issues will be hard to spot, and
require at least some level of familiarity with the identifier system.

There may also be requests which seem to be OK (for instance, following
the consensus concerning the <fgrament>, I could allow its use in the
URN namespace since <fragment> is not part of the URN. But the
International ISBN Agency may not approve this. Checking that the people
who have written the registration request are fully authorized may not
be that easy.

> + namespace proposals that come in through *other* IETF wgs, and never
> get put on the urn-nid mailing list
>  -- need AD help to get them to the URN reviewers
>

> What I have *not* seen, surprisingly (but pleasantly):
>
> + a lot of discussion about whether something really should be a URN
> namespace.  Hurrah.

Again, we may have different issues here. I suppose that we will not
often have cases where an identifier system is a priori technically
unsuitable (for instance, you could give the same identifier again and
again for different resources). Such identifiers should never make it,
of course. Same would apply to identifier systems that do not identify
anything that would be useful in the Internet context. But the
administrative issues related to the persistence of the URNs assigned
from a given namespace are a problem. There are certainly differences
between URNs in this respect: while URN:ISBNs are trustworthy, I have no
idea how persistent URN:UUID will be.

Remembering the discussion we had about UUIDs, I believe that the
community does not want to introduce stringent administrative criteria
for people or organizations sending namespace registration requests.
Which, I think, is feasible and acceptable.

Juha