[URN] NA id request - wanting a specific number

"John A. Kunze" <jak@ckm.ucsf.edu> Thu, 28 May 1998 22:04 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:01:07 -0700
From: "John A. Kunze" <jak@ckm.ucsf.edu>
To: urn-ietf@bunyip.com
Subject: [URN] NA id request - wanting a specific number
Sender: owner-urn-ietf@Bunyip.Com

I'm setting up a prototype URN resolution service for the US National
Library of Medicine (NLM).  First off we need a Namespace ID (NID).

The NID that I'm requesting is the string

	"1000"

(That is, the string consists of the four characters '1', '0', '0', '0'.)

This string of digits serves better than a string of identifying
characters, such as "NLM", because of the need to assign names that will
persist long after the NLM has been (in a hypothetical future) renamed
following privatization, and when advertizers who might use its URN's
will be sued for trademark infringment by a major beverage producer called
National Lager Manufacturing, which will have become known as "NLM". ;-)

As an aside, in discussing

	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-nid-req-03.txt

with Leslie, she had the idea that when the requestor doesn't specify a
NID, that the number assigned by the IANA-like body should be prefixed, say

	iana-NNNNNN

somehow so as not to conflict with requestors of pure numbers.  I second
that idea.

-John

John A. Kunze                  +1 510-525-8575    UCSF Medical Informatics
530 Parnassus Ave, Box 0840    jak@ckm.ucsf.edu   University of California/
San Francisco, CA  94143-0840  Fax: 415-476-4653  Nat'l Library of Medicine