Re: [urn] Tuning the "URNs are not URIs" spec

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Tue, 17 June 2014 09:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 18:16:36 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, urn@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [urn] Tuning the "URNs are not URIs" spec

Hello John, others,

Your text proposal below is helpful because it shows how you frame the
current discussion in terms of standard politics and procedures.

First, you mention "several discussions". These discussions may have
lead you to certain conclusions, but it doesn't mean that WG members can
make the same (or maybe other) conclusions without getting more
information on these discussions, either from you or from the other
people involved (or preferably from both).

I have no idea about the content of these discussions, but just for
devil's advocate, there would be a huge difference between e.g. some of
these discussions including very clear indications (even threats) of
"having that work done elsewhere" and e.g. discussants showing little or
no understanding for the (real or perceived) needs of (some parts of)
the library community. Maybe there was both, or there was something else
althogether.

So I would strongly urge you and others who have been involved in these
discussions to inform the WG and therefore the public via this list.

Second, and more important, is that your document starts at the wrong
end. Section 2 may be a good start for a requirements document. And
based on that, it may be possible to work out how to address the various
issues brought up. After discussion of each of the requirements and
possible solutions addressing these, we would end up with a spec that
may or may not have some discrepancies with RFC 3986. It is at this
point, and only at this point, that we can with good faith decide to put
something like the current Section 3 into the spec, and to label the
document as "updates 3986". Cutting ties before we know we need to cut
them is hopelessly premature.

I don't currently have the time to go through all nine items in Section
2 (*). But in order to show that what I said in the previous paragraph
is important, I'm going to pick out one item and explain my concerns in
more detail:

    7.  Persistent identification must be available for resources which
        are available only in databases and other environments that are
        often identified today as "deep web".  URIs for these resources
        tend to be very complicated and it will be difficult to keep them
        alive even with the help of DNS redirection when e.g.  the
        underlying database management system changes.

Reading this, I don't see any point I would have to disagree with. But
there is also nothing I can see or even guess that would suggest that
persistent identification (meaning URNs, yes?) and URIs need to be
separated. It is already possible with current syntax to define URNs for
resources in the "deep web". Keeping the correspondence between such
URNs and their referent will be difficult when the underlying database
management system changes. As far as I can see, that's not URI's fault
and not URN's fault, and isn't affected, positively or negatively, by
separating URNs from URIs. Similar for length issues. It's possible to
define short URNs or short URIs if that's what is needed. Both for URNs
and for URIs, there are ample examples. Again, length issues are not
affected, positively or negatively, by separating URNs from URIs.

So at the minimum, items such as item 7 need a lot more work to make the
connection to Section 3 way clearer. Or they should just be removed as
non-sequiturs, leaving only those items (if any) that actually support a
conclusion such as that in Section 3.

So in summary, I'd strongly suggest to invest *way more* work into the
technical aspects of this document. The IETF has a very strong and
healthy tradition of putting technical arguments first. It is my strong
belief that if the technical arguments are actually there and are
presented well enough, then political/procedural text such as the
appendix below won't be necessary. On the other hand, if the technical
arguments can't be found, then again the appendix below (and the whole
document) will become irrelevant.

Regards,    Martin.

(*) I note in passing that the paragraphs between item 8 and 9, and
those after item nine, should be formatted to be part of the preceding
item).