Re: Proposing a new editor for the USEPRO document

"Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com> Fri, 01 December 2006 04:24 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 23:18:15 -0500
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
To: ietf-usefor@imc.org
Subject: Re: Proposing a new editor for the USEPRO document
Sender: owner-ietf-usefor@mail.imc.org

Frank Ellermann wrote:

> Russ Allbery wrote:
>

>>I started from the existing draft and worked under the assumption
>>that any technical requirement in the existing draft was presumed
>>to be correct unless I had a clear justification in mind for changing
>>it.
>
> [...]
>

>> * Drop mvgroup and initial articles.
>

> I like 'mvgroup' as idea.  If it's hopeless in practice getting rid
> of it is no showstopper, but I'd like to know your justification for
> this modification.

We are not chartered to produce an experimental RFC. (I don't
have a problem with someone going off and doing that. But I
have always objected to it happening here.)

Many features got into the drafts under a sadly mistaken assumption
about how the world works. Including a feature in a "proposed standard"
does NOT mean that future implementors could be forced or shamed into
implementing it.

Practical considerations (limited software developer manpower) and
Engineering considerations (limited bandwidth/storage/CPU) are always
going to trump what the proposed standard says.  People don't care that
much about being labeled "out of compliance."

Remember, RFCs are merely invitations to do something a certain way,
IF YOU HAVE DECIDED _ALREADY_ TO IMPLEMENT.

mvgroup is experimental and will not be standardized in any reasonable
time frame.  Why?  It is hard to implement on some servers, due to architecture
choices.  So it has high implementation cost.  My perception is that it is
likely to be used only dozens of times per year.  So it has low value.
It requires interoperating server and client implementations, so it
has a chicken and egg problem.

There are not going to interoperating implementations in any reasonable time.
Ergo, not standardized in reasonable time.
Ergo, remove it from the draft.

I admit others can have different opinions on deciding if a particular feature
is experimental.  But if the consensus is that it is experimental, then remove
it from the draft.

Can someone make a case for why mvgroup belongs in THIS draft and not as
a separate document?  What is the problem with letting mvgroup stand on its own
merits?