[Uta] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-18: (with DISCUSS)

Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net> Mon, 16 April 2018 17:58 UTC

From: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt@ietf.org, Valery Smyslov <valery@smyslov.net>, Leif Johansson <leifj@sunet.se>, uta-chairs@ietf.org, valery@smyslov.net, uta@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 10:58:09 -0700
Subject: [Uta] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-18: (with DISCUSS)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt-18: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-tlsrpt/

DISCUSS:

I'm guessing that I'm simply misunderstanding / not understanding (reformatted
for clarity): 1: If multiple TXT records for "_smtp._tls" are returned by the
resolver, records which do not begin with "v=TLSRPTv1;" are discarded. 2: If
the number of resulting records is not one, senders MUST assume the recipient
domain does not implement TLSRPT. 3: If the resulting TXT record contains
multiple strings, then the record MUST be treated as if those strings are
concatenated together without adding spaces.

So, if I query for '_smtp._tls.example.com' and get back:
"v=TLSRPTv1;rua=mailto:foo@example.com"
"v=TLSRPTv3;rua=mailto:bar@example.com"

I throw away the one that contains 'bar', fair enough, got it. What I don't
understand is what a record would look like which is a single record (#2), but
that contains multiple strings (#3). Can you provide an example of a TXT record
with multiple strings? I don't *think* that this is just me being dense, and so
I think that the document needs to better explain this / include the example.