Re: [v6ops] I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-02.txt

Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr> Mon, 11 October 2010 07:41 UTC

From: Rémi Després <remi.despres@free.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:42:02 +0200
To: Sheng Jiang <shengjiang@huawei.com>, Diang Guo <guoseu@huawei.com>, Brian Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: v6ops v6ops <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-02.txt

Hi Sheng, Diang, Brian,

The draft says
"[ISPs]... currently face two urgent pressures - to compensate for an immediate shortage of IPv4 addresses by deploying some method of address sharing, and to prepare actively for the use of deployment of IPv6 address space and services. ISPs facing only one pressure out of   two could adopt either CGN (for shortage of IPv6 addresses) or 6rd."

This misses the point that 6rd can also be used by ISPs that, to face the IPv4 address shortage, operate CGN44s and assign private IPv4 addresses to their customers.
This is illustrated in particular in section 4 of RFC 5569:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
              ______________________________
             |                              |
             | 10.x.x.x/8 private addresses |
             |  <==                         |
       <-----|         IPv4 anycast address |----->
             |            of 6rd relays     |
    6rd-CPEs |                      ==>     |  6rd-relays
             |                              |
       <-----|          0.0.0.0/0           |----->
             |              :               |
             |______________V_______________|
                          __|__
    ISP-supported NAT(s) |     |
                         |_____|

                 IPv4 public addresses
          Figure 3: 6rd Applicability to ISPs That Assign
                    IPv4 Private Addresses

If a home gateway supports 6rd with the DHCPv4 option introduced in RFC 5969, the goal of incremental CGN seems to be reached with already specified mechanisms.

Thoughts?

Regards,
RD