[v6ops] IPv6 prefix to use to store IPv4 prefixes in an IPv6 IP Address Managment System?

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Tue, 17 May 2011 14:09 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 16:09:11 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: [v6ops] IPv6 prefix to use to store IPv4 prefixes in an IPv6 IP Address Managment System?

I recently coded a system where I handled the IPv4 addresses as IPv4
mapped IPv6 addresses = ::ffff:a.b.c.d addresses in a single table for
all prefixes for an application. It was convenient in the end, but it
took quite a lot of code to handle the special human readable forms
properly.

I can let you have the PERL library if you want.

I would certainly avoid use of deprecated addresses ::0000:a.b.c.d.
There is some overlap e.g. ::1 & ::0

I also found some problems with libraries handling things like ::ffff:10.0

Another equally valid approach is to use completely separate tables for
IPv4 and IPv6, depending on your application.

How, for example, in a firewall rules system, would you distinguish a
match rule for an IPv4 mapped IPv6 address being carried over a native
IPv6 packet, versus a normal native IPv4 encapsulated packet? You'd
anyway need to keep track of the encapsulation on the wire.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-02

Sometimes it's just better to treat IPv4 and IPv6 as completely separate
address families.

best regards,
RayH