[v6ops] cpe-slaac-renum: Proposed text for prefix lifetimes

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Wed, 08 April 2020 11:59 UTC

To: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 08:59:33 -0300
Subject: [v6ops] cpe-slaac-renum: Proposed text for prefix lifetimes

Folks,

In this recent thread on cpe-slaac-renum, there was a proposal to add
text to the draft, and I promised I would start a new thread just in
case somebody missed the chance to review in the rather long thread.

This text is meant to reflect the comments from Philip, Lorenzo, and
others (please do let me know if I misunderstood what you mean). The
text is:

---- cut here ----
The Valid Lifetime and Preferred Lifetime of PIOs have direct impact on
two different aspects:

* The amount of time hosts may end up employing stale network
configuration information (see [draft-ietf-v6ops-slaac-renum]).

* The amount of time Customer Edge routers would need to persist trying
to deprecate stale network configuration information (to handle cases
where nodes miss Router Advertisements and thus still consider the stale
information as valid).

As a result, CPE Routers SHOULD override the default "Preferred
Lifetime" and "Valid Lifetime" values from [RFC4861], and employ shorter
values to mitigate the aforementioned effect, while complying with the
requirement from Section 2.1 of this document, and the recommendations
in RFC7772. This document RECOMMENDS that Customer Edge Router set the
Router Lifetime and PIO Preferred Lifetime to 2700 seconds (45 minutes)
and the PIO Valid Lifetime to 86400 seconds (1 day).

We note that a CPE Router need not employ the (possibly long) DHCPv6-PD
lease times in the Valid Lifetime and Preferred Lifetime of PIOs sent in
Router Advertisements messages to advertise sub-prefixes of the leased
prefix. Instead, CPE Routers SHOULD use shorter values for the Valid
Lifetime and Preferred Lifetime of PIOs, since subsequent Router
Advertisement messages will nevertheless refresh the associated
lifetimes, leading to the same effective lifetimes as specified by the
DHCPv6-lease time.
--- cut here ----

The above change tackles to different issues:

* Saner lifetimes that at least allow for proper garbage collection in a
timelier manner.

* In the typical scenario (but depending on DHCPv6 server parameters),
the DHCPv6-PD leased will be longer than the PIO lifetimes advertised by
the CE Router, and the CE Router will renew the prefix lease well before
the PIO lifetimes need to be adjusted/reduced (to avoid having PIO
lifetimes that span past the dhcpv6-pd lease). The result is that, in
practice, the CE Routers would send RAs that always contain the same
lifetime values, thus avoiding the battery consumption problem mentioned
by Lorenzo.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheers,