Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat-03.txt

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Tue, 15 November 2011 18:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:12:56 +0100
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: v6ops@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-ipv6-multihoming-without-ipv6nat-03.txt

I support this work.

1. I am no fan of NAT. One valid use of NAT that I have seen is to
guarantee a symmetrical return route for packets that have been routed
at a remote site using policy based routing (PBR) e.g. Internet offload
of "bulk" traffic.  A mechanism for routers to be able communicate their
PBR policy table rules to the local end node should be successful.

But IMHO draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-01 would not seem to be
adequate, as it does not contain enough high-level application related
information like something being "expensive" AFAIK. And that leaves a
hard problem of how to communicate a soft policy that may not be based
on hard classifiers like bandwidth, but rather dollar cost per megabyte.

2. "In short, while IPv6 facilitates hosts having more than one address
in the same address scope, the application of this causes significant
issues for a host from routing, source address selection and DNS
resolution perspectives"

I still like the "learn by trying" approach of Happy Eyeballs (mentioned
this back in April) even though it may produce some (small) additional
burden on the network. One problem again is that start-up metrics
related to SYN packet performance may not provide appropriate/sufficient
information to be able to formulate effective or meaningful policy for
source address/destination address/path selection.

As an extension to the "learn by trying" approach, is there a case for a
hop-by-hop header option for end nodes to be able to learn path
characteristics from routers (during session start up)?

I doubt that core routers will ever want to process or add such a header
option, but I could imagine that a CPE router or end node could be
configured to tag packets containing a TCP SYN going out of interface A
as being "cheap" and interface B as being "high latency" based on a
locally configured administrative option.

That tag could be reflected at the server end back to the client during
session start up.

I'm thinking of the good old EIGRP metrics as a simple starting point
[bandwidth, delay, reliability, load, minimum MTU, hop count]. Vendor
extensions of the tags should of course be possible.

These tags would then be used by the end node to be able to select the
correct path to use (per application) from the successfully negotiated
paths.

3. "a function to control every node centrally.  A site administrator or
a service provider could determine or could have an effect on the
behavior at their users' hosts."

The draft seems to assume that routers or network managers are all
knowing, and end nodes and end users are dumb. In a model based on
mobile handsets connected to alternative (competing) networks, the user
probably knows more than the service providers about what policy they
want: think WiFi v 4G. I'd thus prefer a model that was more
symmetrical, where policy selection and communication of path/topology
information were orthogonal.

regards,
RayH