[v6ops] On Teredo [was Re: 6to4-historic summary point: 9. "why 6to4 is preventing 6to4 roll out"]

Martin Millnert <martin@millnert.se> Thu, 28 April 2011 22:20 UTC

From: Martin Millnert <martin@millnert.se>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:20:17 -0400
Cc: "v6ops@ietf.org WG" <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: [v6ops] On Teredo [was Re: 6to4-historic summary point: 9. "why 6to4 is preventing 6to4 roll out"]

Fred,

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 13:31 -0700, Fred Baker wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong; the comment is specific to Teredo and not to 6to4, correct?

Yes, you are right. Overall the comment was mostly specific to Teredo.

> </chair>
> Speaking strictly for myself, I would seriously wonder why the
> alternative to any overlay architecture is not native deployment.

I agree completely that native IPv6 is the end-goal.

My (before mis-placed) point is simply that recommending the removal of
an overlay protocol (Teredo in this case) without proof of actual
users/providers actually being adversely affected by it (clearly not the
case with 6to4), *will not* in itself result in giving these users
native IPv6.  And leaving the protocol in place, will, likewise, not
give these users access to IPv6 web servers via native IPv6
connectivity.

That was clearly not the topic of point 9, and in retrospect I should've
restricted my response to the lack of evidence of any causality between
the (non-http) traffic levels seen in Teredo with applications not
following the provided 3484 on their host and doing their own thing,
presented in Geoff's thorough research article.

I did continue by offering an explanation on why I believe that largely
to be a completely inaccurate explanation for the traffic measured in
Geoff's work. (Ie, largely, traffic exists with no rule-breaking going
on).

> The concern raised with 6to4 is the set of use cases in which it
> doesn't work as expected, for any of a variety of reasons, and as a
> result inhibits consumer interest in IPv6 or distracts service
> provider attention from native deployment.

Yes, and I'm also in agreement that phasing out 6to4 is the right action
now.

> If your statement is that the IETF is irresponsible in pointing out a
> deployment solution that isn't working as well as hoped for without
> providing an alternative, I think the IETF has set forth (and service
> providers are in the process of deploying) a replacement.

No, that was not my statement (see above)!

> What I do not expect the IETF to do is recommend one overlay
> architecture instead of another.

I was not suggesting the IETF to recommend operators to let their users
rely on overlay architectures as the users means of IPv6 connectivity.
  I very much welcome clear evidence that Teredo is an obstacle to
native deployment.  I don't think it is, and I can't remember seeing any
such evidence so far.  Teredo is there, with a purpose, [and until
proven otherwise, ] it does not hurt native v6 deployment - and
recommending removing it solves nothing.

> In RFC 6180 (aka draft-arkko-ipv6-transition-guidelines), Jari and I
> tried to point out things that were known to work in deployment as
> general advice in "how to get over a bump in the deployment roadmap",
> but our point was explicitly not to say "deploy this overlay and
> stop". To our minds, and I understood the working group's mind, the
> finish-line is "the universal deployment of native IPv6".

No arguments here.  Personally, I believe we can approximate having
reached the finish line to when deploying a single-stack native IPv6
network is the norm.

Best,
Martin