Re: [v6ops] I-D Action:draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-00.txt

Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com> Wed, 20 October 2010 15:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:25:00 -0400
From: Ed Jankiewicz <edward.jankiewicz@sri.com>
To: Victor Kuarsingh <victor.kuarsingh@gmail.com>
Cc: IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] I-D Action:draft-kuarsingh-v6ops-6to4-provider-managed-tunnel-00.txt

  Is it impossible to agree with both opinions?

Fred/Randy:  Operators should devote scarce resources to deploying
native IPv6 and managing it well, rather than spinning more complicated
webs of IPv4 accommodation.

Victor:  The ISP cannot dictate all updates to CPE, must provide access
to all legacy customers, not just eager IPv6 adopters, so an interim
mechanism that minimizes their inconvenience is needed.

There are around 100 RFCs and drafts about aspects of coexistence and
transition flying around*, I sure hope they are not all going to be
"standardized" because 100 standards for the same thing is about as good
as none (IMHO).   Some of these are being generated by folks in the
operator community, not just ivory tower solutions, so they should be
motivated by real problems that need to be solved.  One size will never
fit all, so some solutions may be a good fit for one ISP, and not for
others.  Our job here is to provide engineering opinions on all these
alternatives, to permit things that will help, and prevent things that
will harm.

There should be something like "The laws of robotics" for
transition/coexistence mechanisms:

1.  First, do no harm (to your legacy IPv4 customers, to your eager IPv6
customers, to the larger community)
2.  Keep it simple (solve particular problems with targeted mechanisms)
but no simpler than necessary to avoid harm
3.  Design and deploy your interim solution(s) with a clear path to
eventually render them redundant:  enable, promote and encourage
transition to native IPv6 (do not install any new equipment that does
not support IPv6; sunset IPv4 access - without harming legacy customers)

I think these allow an operator complete freedom to manage their own
network and to chose and operate any coexistence mechanism as long as
they need to for supporting their customers, except where those choices
cause harm to someone else.  Of course, there is no universal definition
of "harm" so reasonable people can disagree, e.g. if a mechanism in use
on the access side causes additional delay, content providers may see
that as "harming" their users' experience.  That's why mailing lists and
WG meetings are just so much fun.

On reflection, these are just corollary to the Robustness Principle or
Postel's Law [RFC 793] .  "Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in
what you accept from others."

Ed J

*shameless self-promotion:  take a look at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jankiewicz-v6ops-v4v6biblio-02
something I started to organize my own reading, but posted in case it
helps anyone.  It tries to take a snapshot of the current work, so if I
missed or mischaracterized anything, happy to take comments off-list to
correct before Oct 25 update deadline.