[v6ops] Éric Vyncke's Yes on draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 03 April 2024 07:02 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device@ietf.org, v6ops-chairs@ietf.org, v6ops@ietf.org, tim@qacafe.com, tim@qacafe.com, tim.chown@jisc.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 00:02:27 -0700
Subject: [v6ops] Éric Vyncke's Yes on draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is easy to read and, while
being simple, it is brilliant.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Timothy Winters for the shepherd's detailed write-up
including the WG *rough* consensus *and* the justification of the intended
status.

Other thanks to Tim Chown, the Internet directorate reviewer (at my request),
please consider this int-dir review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-v6ops-dhcp-pd-per-device-07-intdir-telechat-chown-2024-03-27/
(I have yet to read any reply by the authors)

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

# COMMENTS (non-blocking)

## Abstract

"client" is rather vague... or was "node" intended ? "client" is only defined
later in the terminology section.

Unsure whether "large" is a requirement for this I-D to be used.

## Section 1

Is "large" required in `Often, large broadcast networks` ?

`individual clients` should it be "individual nodes" or "individual hosts" ?

s/prefixes/IPv6 prefixes/ in the first paragraph ?

"(and often requires)" ? Beside link-local, I am not sure whether it is often a
requirement.

s/L2/layer-2/ ?

As this section talks about DHCPv6, please already add a reference to DHCPv6.

s/in this specification/in this document/ as the intended status is
informational.

## Section 4

`The first-hop router acts as a DHCPv6 relay` AFAIK a DHCPv6 relay does not
need to be a router (this point comes up again later).

Even if "NUD" is an accepted abbreviation, suggest expanding it.

`required by this specification.` is not suitable for an informational I-D.

I love those clear SVG graphics :-) Just a very minor nit on the shared IPv6
link, there is a cross in the middle rather than a T (unsure whether it is
fixable though)

## Section 5

For small networks, `SLAAC is a better and simpler option` is probably too
assertive, suggest removing 'better' and only keep 'simpler'.

## Section 6.1

Should the routing table size reduction also be a benefit of using a big pool
per link ? If so, let's state it already in this section rather than in the
next ?

## Section 6.2

Is seems to me that one requirement of the proposed solution is that the DHCP
relays *are* the routers, i.e., they can do DHCP snooping to learn the
delegated prefixes.  Or is the multicast nature of the DHCP traffic enough? All
in all, I do not think that a separate DHCP relay is a problem but some words
could be added to the text to state that separate DHCP relay(s) (or local DHCP
servers) is also supported.

## Section 7

As usual, I am not a big fan of using normative BCP 14 language in an
informational document.

## Section 8

I can only imagine the amount of discussions about the delegated prefix
length... No need to reply.

## Section 10

Unsure whether such reference exists, but adding a reference to uRPF would be a
plus.

Should SLAAC be added to `When all clients are using the same shared link to
form addresses`?

## Section 11

Currently, the IETF cannot publish this document as it includes `To allow the
network to signal DHCPv6-PD support, [I-D.collink-6man-pio-pflag] defines a new
PIO flag` and we do not know the fate of this other I-D yet. While I hope that
it will be published, the sentence should be less assertive or make the 6MAN
I-D normative in order to form a RFC editor cluster.

## Section 12

`Such information is much less dynamic than ND cache` moreover, the DHCP-PD
logs are centralized and easier to collect.

## Section 15

`the DHCPv6 server or relay MUST support limiting the number of prefixes
delegated to a given client at any given time` how can this be achieved if the
client spoofs its MAC & link-local IPv6 addresses?

# NITS (non-blocking / cosmetic)

## E.g.

'E.g.' is usually followed by a comma.

## 464XLAT

Be consistent and always use "464XLAT" rather than "464xlat" in section 8.

## Section 16

Usually, appendixes are after the references ;-)