Re: [v6ops] AD review of draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 09 May 2017 06:36 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, IPv6 Operations <v6ops@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix.all@ietf.org>, Joe Clarke <jclarke@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 06:36:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] AD review of draft-ietf-v6ops-v4v6-xlat-prefix

Hi Warren, all,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] I wonder if a pointer to https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6052#section-3.2 would be sufficient here instead of having the full discussion.

> 6.  Checksum Neutrality
>
>    Use of 64:ff9b:1::/48 does not in itself guarantee checksum
>    neutrality, as many of the IPv4/IPv6 translation algorithms it can be
>    used with are fundamentally incompatible with checksum-neutral
>    address translations.
>
> [C]: Er?! What is this checksum neutral thing of which you speak?! :-)
> (I think you need a reference here -- I *think* that RFC6296, Section
> 2.6 is the closest.)

[Med] The text already cites a pointer that is relevant for IPv4/IPv6 address translation matters:

   Section 4.1 of [RFC6052] contains further discussion about IPv4/IPv6
   translation and checksum neutrality.

>    The Stateless IP/ICMP Translation algorithm [RFC7915] is one well-
>    known algorithm that can operate in a checksum-neutral manner, when
>    using the [RFC6052] algorithm for all of its address translations.
>    However, in order to attain checksum neutrality is imperative that
>    the translation prefix is chosen carefully.  Specifically, in order
>    for a 96-bit [RFC6052] prefix to be checksum neutral, all the six
>    16-bit words in the prefix must add up to a multiple of 0xffff.
>
>    The following non-exhaustive list contains examples of translation
>    prefixes that are checksum neutral when used with the [RFC7915] and
>    [RFC6052] algorithms:
>
>    o  64:ff9b:1:fffe::/96
>
>    o  64:ff9b:1:fffd:1::/96
>
>    o  64:ff9b:1:fffc:2::/96
>
>    o  64:ff9b:1:abcd:0:5431::/96
>
>    Section 4.1 of [RFC6052] contains further discussion about IPv4/IPv6
>    translation and checksum neutrality.
>
> [C]: Oh! Here is the reference (I think 6296 Sec 2.6 is clearer.)

[Med] Citing RFC6052 is appropriate here because it discusses IPv4/IPv6 address translation matters while RFC6269 is about IPv6 prefix translation. RFC6052 is clear about the meaning:

... one's complement checksum if both the IPv4-
   translatable and the IPv4-converted IPv6 addresses were constructed
   in a "checksum-neutral" manner, that is, if the IPv6 addresses would
   have the same one's complement checksum as the embedded IPv4 address.