Re: [v6ops] New Version Notification for draft-xie-v6ops-reqirements-multi-domain-ipv6only-00.txt

Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn> Fri, 04 March 2022 09:00 UTC

Sender: xiechf@chinatelecom.cn
From: Chongfeng Xie <xiechf@chinatelecom.cn>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 17:00:13 +0800
Cc: V6Ops-Chairs <v6ops-chairs@ietf.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>
To: Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] New Version Notification for draft-xie-v6ops-reqirements-multi-domain-ipv6only-00.txt

Hi,Giuseppe,
Your comments are really appreciated. Pls find my answer inline.

Chongfeng

> 2022年3月3日 下午5:34,Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com> 写道:
>
> Hi Chongfeng,
> Thank you for proposing this draft.
> I think that a document about the requirements of multi-domain IPv6-only network make a lot of sense, especially if we consider large-scale operators composed of multiple ASes.
Thanks

> I also read draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design and it aims to address a similar issue. It would be good to have cross-reference and collaboration between these documents.

[Chongfeng]: OK, I will reference the draft you mentioned. The two drafts are related, however, they address different issues, the draft of draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design mainly provides a solution for Internet Exchange Point that are facing IPv4 address depletion at large peering points.  The draft of draft-xie-v6ops-reqirements-multi-domain-ipv6only mainly highlight the requirements when implementing IPv6 in multi-domain network.

> Regarding Section 8 on Requirements, I think these can be further discussed in the WG based on the experience of network operators. I would suggest to distinguish between Basic Requirements, that a solution must satisfy, and Optional Requirements, that are instead desirable. The rationale is that some requirements may not be easily addressed in every operator networks but this would not prevent to have a multi-domain IPv6-only network.

[Chongfeng], I agree. We will do this in the future versions based on your suggestion.