Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-eps-03.txt> (IPv6 in 3GPP Evolved Packet System) to Informational RFC

GangChen <phdgang@gmail.com> Tue, 09 August 2011 16:13 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:14:25 +0800
From: GangChen <phdgang@gmail.com>
To: Jouni <jounikor@gmail.com>
Cc: v6ops@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org, IETF-Announce <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-eps-03.txt> (IPv6 in 3GPP Evolved Packet System) to Informational RFC

Dear Jouni,

In mobile CPE case, MT and TE are separated. That would need
additional requirements in some particular cases, e.g. dynamic IPv6
address allocation.

According to the 3GPP specification, the UE shall build the link-local
address using the interface identifier provided by the PDN GW upon PDN
connection establishment. However, MT may not be able to transfer the
interface identifier to TE in the CPE cases. The only thing the IP
devices can do is to select the interface identifier by some other
means and then perform Duplicate Address Detection, as specified in
RFC 4862. The PDN GW shall then perform the DAD check based on the
Neighbor Solicitation messages sent by the UE.

Therefore, there are some implementation factors that may change UE
behaviour in the CPE context. IMHO, it would be beneficial to describe
CPE consideration in section 5.3. CPE case has already appeared to be
a valid scenario in 3GPP

BRs

Gang