Re: [v6ops] IPv6-only Terminology Definition

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 12 March 2020 11:59 UTC

To: v6ops@ietf.org
From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:59:43 +0100
Subject: Re: [v6ops] IPv6-only Terminology Definition

Le 12/03/2020 à 11:44, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ a écrit :
> Yes, sorry, there is a typo there.
>
>         However, the "end-networks", in general, need to continue supporting
>         IPv4, as there are many devices or apps, in both corporate and end-
>         user networks (smartTV, IP cameras, etc.), which are IPv4-only and it
>         is not always feasible to update or replace them.  Also if customer
>         devices in a LAN are ***IPv4-only***, they will not be able to access
>         IPv6-only services, so this means that IPv6-only services can't be
>         deployed unless it is done in such way that some transition mechanism
>         solves that problem as well (example an IPv6-only Data Center,
>         requires SIIT-DC)
>

> I've corrected in my internal draft v-06, but will wait for more inputs before publishing it.
>
> Or maybe we could even consider a call for WG adoption?

If call for adoption there is, I will be supportive.

As usual, I will suggest to say somewhere in an appendix or so, that a
possible definition of IPv6-only is "no IPv4 stack in linux kernel,
unchecked IPv4 in Windows interface properties, no A entry in DNS and no
127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts".

I would also suggest the use of the term IPv4-only, in a similar
mannner.  Or maybe one wants to be silent about IPv4-only.

Finally, from an earlier conversation I remember the term "double stack"
which would be clearer than the existing but ambiguous "dual stack".

Alex