Re: Call for v6ops agenda items

Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org> Tue, 16 February 2010 09:47 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:14:16 +1030
From: Mark Smith <ipng@69706e6720323030352d30312d31340a.nosense.org>
To: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
Cc: joelja@bogus.com, cb.list6@gmail.com, v6ops@ops.ietf.org, fred@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Call for v6ops agenda items
Sender: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org

Hi Teemu,

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:30:39 +0100
<teemu.savolainen@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel, Cameron,
>
> I second operator's presentations on this topic:) But too often I feel that operators are not very interested to ensure hosts have enough addresses available for sharing.. You can hear this thought echoing e.g. on proposals saying hosts should have just /128, and no prefix delegation. How on earth you can share that kind of uplink connection without IPv6 NAT?

What sort of operators? As you're from Nokia, are you taking about
mobile phone network operators?

As for ISPs, I don't think they all believe that. I think they'd be
quite well aware that their customers are sharing their single IPv4
address with multiple devices via NAT, and won't be living in a
fantasy that they're selling a Internet connection/single IPv4 address
for each device residential customers want to attach. If they've also
deployed VoIP services they may have also had to deal with VoIP/NAT
interaction issues, which hopefully would have taught them the benefits
of unique addressing for all edge devices.

If an ISP tries to only give out a single /128, their competitors can
and probably will use that as a marketing weapon - "Other stingy ISPs
give you a single IP address. We'll give you plenty, because we've got
plenty."