[v6tc] goals of tunneling configuration protocol

Prakash Jayaraman <prakash@net.com> Tue, 08 March 2005 05:11 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:09:57 -0600
From: Prakash Jayaraman <prakash@net.com>
To: v6tc@ietf.org
Subject: [v6tc] goals of tunneling configuration protocol
Sender: v6tc-bounces@ietf.org

Comments on the draft
Goals for Tunneling Configuration - draft-palet-v6tc-goals-tunneling-00.txt

 > 1.  Introduction:
 >   However, this is not the case for the access network, which may
 >  involve different types of layer two technologies.  In all the cases,
 >   in order to facilitate the transition of those access networks, which

This first line talks about "different layer two technologies" - but it
does not tell why it is significant only for access networks. Core
networks have different layer two technologies as well.

Line 327:

 >   o  IPv4 multicast is not widely available, so the tunnel
 >      configuration protocol should work in IPv4 network environments
 >      where IPv4 multicast is not provided.

Video-broadcast over IP is being designed (slow deployment due to
bandwidth constraints in the access network) for DSL/FTTH/FTTP access
networks already. I presume that IPv4-multicast will see widespread use
within the next couple of years. We already know of a few customers who
are using IPv4-multicast already.

It may be ok to restrict the scope of the BOF or the proposed protocol,
but the assumption about the availability of IPv4-multicast may not stay
true.

 > 4.2.4  Latency in Set-up Phases

The lifetime of the tunnel needs to be discussed somewhere. Is the
tunnel-endpoint on the client-side considered an IP interface?   A
tunnel is a point-to-point link by definition. However, there is a
widespread tendency to use a bunch of point-to-point links at the edges
to emulate a multi-access network.

Although the draft states that the tunnel will not be made "perfect"
(i.e. not all IPv6 services will be available over this tunnel), unless
it is stated explicitly otherwise in the BOF charter, enhancements are
likely to happen.

The following are some of the issues that need to be addressed by the
BOF charter, either as a goal or a non-goal.

- emulating multi-access links, with a single IP subnet, by using a lot
of tunnels (broadcast and multicast are problems)
- MTU:- the tunnel-endpoint at the ISP side should not have to do any
sort of packet reassembly. Having reassembly buffers for each of the
tunnels is not a scalable or cost-effective solution. Packets going from
the CPE-side going upstream must be fragmented to a lower value (using
TCP MSS or lower IP-mtu).  Packets going from ISP-side to the CPE may be
fragmented if necessary. Fragmentation is simple - it does not require
resources on the edge routers.
- Should routing protocols be able to work over such tunnels?
- tunnel load-balancing, failover, tunnel-switching etc.

- prakash