Re: [VCARDDAV] New vcardrev draft

Mark Paterson <mark.paterson@oracle.com> Mon, 21 January 2008 18:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:27:08 -0500
From: Mark Paterson <mark.paterson@oracle.com>
To: Simon Perreault <simon.perreault@viagenie.ca>
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] New vcardrev draft
Cc: vcarddav@ietf.org

Hi Simon,

Great job. Overall the format for the document looks good.

A few small suggestions:

- Section 5.3 might be more clear if it were labeled "Postal Addressing
Properties". I think the word "Delivery" is a little confusing since I
can deliver something as an email
- The LANG Property isn't just for Telecommunications. If I decide to
pen a letter and mail it to someone (call me old fashioned) it's helpful
to know what language they can read so perhaps LANG should be moved to
"General Properties"
- In section 3 the Published specification refers to
"draft-resnick-vcardbis-00" which I assume has been superseded by this
draft.

For future work here is a list of things for people to consider

- As Cyrus suggested, being able to use N to refer to a company
- Be more clear about data formats for PHOTO, SOUND, etc.. that shoudl
be acceptable
- Stricter descriptions of values for BDAY and DDAY (can my time of
death really be floating??)
- New ADR format (UPU S42? other suggestions?)
- Be clearer on ADR type values that can be used.
- Have way to enumerate (or uniquely id) postal addressed if contact has
more then one.
- Update TEL format (E.164 anyone?)
- Be clearer on TEL type values that can be used.
- Have way to enumerate (or uniquely id) telecommunication addresses if
contact has more then one.
- BBS, PCS?
- Do we really need MAILER?
- Proper format for TZ values

Let the fun begin :-)

Mark

Simon Perreault wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The new vCard spec draft is out! Get it while it's hot!
>
> So what we've done is merge 2425 and 2426. We've removed all the non-vcard
> parts of 2425 since nothing else ever used it it seems. The structure of the
> draft is what we'd like to get most feedback on. We'd like to keep the
> structure pretty much stable starting with 01 while the real content of the
> draft, i.e. the new vcard spec, is expected to be in flux a lot. But if you
> look closely there are a few new goodies in this draft for you to enjoy.

>> directories.
>>
>> 	Title           : vCard Format Specification
>> 	Author(s)       : P. Resnick, S. Perreault
>> 	Filename        : draft-resnick-vcarddav-vcardrev-00.txt
>> 	Pages           : 50
>> 	Date            : 2008-01-18
>>
>> This document defines the vCard data format for representing and
>> exchanging a variety of information about an individual (e.g.,
>> formatted and structured name and delivery addresses, email address,
>> multiple telephone numbers, photograph, logo, audio clips, etc.).
>>
>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-resnick-vcarddav-vcardrev-00.txt

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Mark Paterson | Product Manager, Mobility & Search | 514.905.8649
Oracle Server Technologies - Collaboration
600 Blvd. de Maissoneuve West, Suite 1900, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 3J2