Re: [VCARDDAV] [calsify] iCalendar-in-XMlL updated

"Tim Hare" <TimHare@comcast.net> Sat, 21 May 2011 04:04 UTC

From: Tim Hare <TimHare@comcast.net>
To: 'Cyrus Daboo' <cyrus@daboo.name>, 'CardDAV' <vcarddav@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 00:04:50 -0400
Cc: 'Calsify' <calsify@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] [calsify] iCalendar-in-XMlL updated

I have some questions, since I am not an XML expert in any way despite
writing at least one XML-to-iCalendar transform:

A. Is 3.2 trying to say that the <components> element can contain another
<components> element?  Or is it merely trying to say that once component
such as <vtodo> can contain another component such as <vtimezone>?

B. Is the <geo> property compatible with other geo-type tagging such as
<geo:point> which I believe is from RDF? This comes from my belief that XML
is so flexible that we ought to be able to use any combination of namespaces
which provides a mapping to iCalendar.

C. I think I missed, somewhere, why property parameters were not mapped to
XML attributes? It seems a more direct mapping for example, to map

PROPERTY-NAME;PARAMETER-NAME="param":value

to <property-name parameter-name="param">value</property-name>

rather than:
<property-name><parameters><parameter-name>value</parameter-name></property-
name>

D.  Do URIs always have to be surrounded by <uri></uri> pairs? As in C:  why
not <property-name type="uri"> ?

Tim Hare
Interested Bystander, Non-Inc.