Re: [video-codec] NHW Project - new version - very high compression - Interesting for IETF?

Michael Niedermayer <michael@niedermayer.cc> Thu, 04 October 2018 23:24 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 01:24:40 +0200
From: Michael Niedermayer <michael@niedermayer.cc>
To: Raphael Canut <nhwcodec@gmail.com>
Cc: video-codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [video-codec] NHW Project - new version - very high compression - Interesting for IETF?

Hi Raphael

Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 03:59:08PM +0200, Raphael Canut wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> Many thanks for your answer Sir!
>

> It interests me a lot that the NHW Project algorithm would be studied for
> the great FFV1 codec!

I think it would only be studied if someone (like for example you) would
do that study, that is compare it to current ffv1 and suggest it as an
algorithm for a future version. Of course you would only do that if/when
you see that as making sense. For example when it is better than the
current code, supports lossless and arbitrary image sizes ...

What i wanted to say with my reply is more that suggestions to extend
ffv1 in ways that improve it would be welcome.

> Just first I wanted to point out that the NHW Project is very experimental
> for now.For example there is no lossless mode and it is now only for
> 512x512 image size...
>

> Do you plan to add to FFV1 a lossy intra-coded picture mode?

That would only make sense if that is either a very simple & natural extension
to existing code or if it adds significant value over other existing codecs.