Re: [video-codec] New Charter Draft

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 30 January 2013 08:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:54:59 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: video-codec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [video-codec] New Charter Draft

On 01/24/2013 09:34 PM, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
> Thanks to Cullen, Harald, EKR, Robert, and Jean-Marc for participating
> in the con-call on Friday (and sorry if I forgot anyone else).
> Apologies for not getting this out sooner. It took a little longer
> than I was expecting to convert the text we hacked up back into
> coherent English.
>
> This doesn't address all of Cullen's issues (specifically, there's
> just a placeholder for the licensing terms), but should serve as a
> starting point to clean up any remaining concerns.
>
> I suspect a changelog would be too long to be useful, and the draft is
> 32% smaller now, so re-reading it is probably easier. I'm not sure a
> diff is useful either, but it was easy to produce, so I've included it.

I like this one.

On the IPR issues, I think you should send a mail to the IETF senior
counsel (still Jorge Contreras, I believe) for advice; he might help you
change this language from "totally informal" to something that actually
means something in legalese - or tell you why it is a bad idea to have
it there.