[VIPR] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-petithuguenin-vipr-proportional-quota-00.txt

Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org> Sun, 23 October 2011 16:32 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:32:27 -0700
From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <petithug@acm.org>
To: "vipr@ietf.org" <vipr@ietf.org>
Subject: [VIPR] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-petithuguenin-vipr-proportional-quota-00.txt

As instructed by our AD[1] after the meeting in Quebec City, I moved this draft
back to the VIPR WG.

The main change in this version is that the quota does not apply to replicas
(this change was made after discussion with the developers of the only known
deployed implementation of this algorithm).  The reason is that because there
can be huge difference in the fraction of the overlay owned by each peer,
entries are likely to be lost during replication.  Because the storing peer of
the replication verifies that the source of the replication is valid, this
should not create the possibility to store more entries than permitted by the
quota mechanism (see section 6.4.1.1 of draft-ietf-p2psip-base).

Changelog:

o  The quota does not apply to replicas.
o  Draft moved to VIPR WG.
o  Nits.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vipr/current/msg00040.html