Re: [VoT] Vectors of Trust I-D

"Kelts, David" <DKelts@morphotrust.com> Thu, 02 July 2015 20:29 UTC

From: "Kelts, David" <DKelts@morphotrust.com>
To: "vot@ietf.org" <vot@ietf.org>, Justin Richer <jricher@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 20:29:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.10.4.66]
Subject: Re: [VoT] Vectors of Trust I-D

Also expressing my thanks for this strawman and the discussion…

I’ve enclosed, for your consideration, a snippet of 800-63 feedback where I’d attempted to diagram and lexicon 4 components of Trust.   Some of my comments and terminology may spring from that model.

Since “Trust” is a two way experience, the addition of a vector for Level Of Control by the consumer over the interaction would enhance this VOT model.  The establishment of consent is necessary for many use cases, has value to RPs, and facilitates privacy.  For example (following the strawman): 0=no consent, 1=prior blanket consent, 2=specific, 3=specific purpose, etc.  This LoC value could be extracted from OIDC flows since Consent follows AuthN.

One possibility that might emerge from the 4-component model is that consumers could choose services that operate on their behalf and the IDP or TFP aggregates on behalf of consumer choice.  AuthN Services (like Fido) could create a scoring system while Consent Services create one also.  As a consumer, I can choose my Fido MFA widget to maximize my LoA(authentication) and take control over logins by expressing my consent preferences.  All can become aggregated.

The comment by Debbie Bucci on creating a container that enables differing content is interesting, and along the lines of Justin’s comment that the values within a vector are very tied to a trust framework.   I wonder, would the notation (or some mathematically accurate version) of { “P1:4.C2:5.A3:3.N5:5” } allow for the expression of the range of values within the vector?  This would allow frameworks to set their vector ranges and allow for RPs to calculate across TFTMs.  It might also make it just messy.  :)  Normalizing range on 100% is also possible.

If we do go down the “content of the vectors” path…
In the strawman’s list of component definitions (4), I would *strongly* suggest a P4 = “The IDP has legal authority to perform identity proofing of the subject and has satisfied proofing for this subject to its published standard”.  P3 as described would describe the sponsored employee paradigm of 800-63 but fall short of a proofing requirement for legal transactions.  For instance, we’re unlikely to allow online voting based on a P3 as described, but a credential from a legal authority could enable it.  National ID programs in countries that have them would be P4 when enabled online.

From that same section 4, I commend the subtle difference between C4 and C5 that would enable PKI to insert an equivalence to the PIV card in LOA4.  At the same time, you may want to alter C2 to “Known second-factor…” and possibly C3 to include the concept of multi-factor authN as equivalent to cryptographic proof.

I had other comments and potential edits on the spec, but can see how conversation evolves.  Hard to be brief when there’s real content, which is an excellent thing.

David

David Kelts
Director of Product Architecture

Phone:  978-215-2573