Re: Notes from Oct 23 IETF/W3C coordination call

Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com> Thu, 08 November 2007 18:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:07:01 -0500
From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: W3C/IETF <w3c-policy@apps.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Notes from Oct 23 IETF/W3C coordination call

A comment from someone who was not there -- it would be
valuable to list the attendees of the meeting (particularly
as the notes reference various people by first name only).

WRT process -- W3C will look after posting in their
space, and you can submit them as a "liaison report"
next month when the IAB asks for same.  They will,
eventually, theoretically, appear somewhere on the IAB
website in public and findable fashion.

Leslie.

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> These notes are reconstructed from the Jabber transcripts.  Thanks
> Thomas and Mark for taking the jabber notes.
>
> Please send comments by Nov 13 so I can get these out (and by the way,
> what's the process for that?)
>
> Lisa
>
> -----
>
> Agenda (after bashing on call):
>
> 1.  Work done by Content Transformation Task Force in the Mobile Web
> Initiative Best Practices Working Group -- Dominique Hazael-Massieux to
> join the call -- 15 min
> 2.  HTTP BIS WG -- Lisa - 5 min
> 3.  Update on the recently-held W3C Workshop on XML Signature and
> Encryption -- Thomas -- 5 min
> 4.  Update of WS-Policy and SparQL media type -- 5 min
> 5. Broader BCP 56 discussion -- everybody - 15 min
> 6.  Schemes and Protocols --
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/SchemeProtocols.html -- everybody --  15 min
> 7.  Agenda for Vancouver IETF -- should these topics be on agendas for
> more discussion? -- Lisa
> 8.  Content t\ype in HTML 5, link rels
>
> 1  Content Transformation
>
> New work in http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/  looking at existing
> technologies
>  - based on existing W3C TAG findings
>  - working on issues like, how to make sure that a page that is already
> transformed isn't transformed again, how to express transformation policy;
>  - note recent outcry in UK, because vodafone transcoding proxy messed
> up existing mobile web sites
>
> Discussion of overlap with OPES: since OPES also has transforming
> proxies, in this case HTTP intermediaries.  Does new WG have same
> requirements for disclosure?   IETF/Apps wouldn't force anybody to do
> things this exact way, but there may be lessons to be learned.  For
> example, why has there been no uptake?  Apps ADs aren't aware of flaws
> in the technology, so it may be a socio-economic reason why there's no
> uptake (e.g. the people in a position to implement OPES aren't the
> people who want it)
>
> Announcements requested to go to: apps-review, HTTP WG
>
> 2  HTTPbis WG
> draft charter:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Team/w3c-ietf-coord/2007Oct/0001.html
> Charter: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/httpbis-charter.html
>
> Mention of call from semweb community to see what HTTP codes mean.  The
> definitions in the standard are sometimes ambiguous and some things
> aren't covered. Can the HTTP WG crisp up those definitions?  Lisa
> responded that this kind of effort, crisping up definitions of things
> that have already been standardized, seems to result in years worth of
> bitter arguments (e.g. discussion of what a lock was in WebDAV;
> arguments on resource instances occasioned by Mogul paper
> http://www2002.org/CDROM/refereed/444/).  HTTP has many such problems,
> see similar issues with resource, response, entity.  Conclusion was that
> for the semweb community to bring that up in the wider community at this
> [...]

"Reality:
      Yours to discover."
                                 -- ThinkingCat
Leslie Daigle