Re: [websec] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-websec-origin-02 until Aug-15

Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com> Mon, 22 August 2011 08:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 09:50:07 +0100
From: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>
To: Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>
Cc: websec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [websec] WG Last Call on draft-ietf-websec-origin-02 until Aug-15

Hi Adam,

Adam Barth wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Alexey Melnikov
><alexey.melnikov@isode.com> wrote:
>

>>Adam Barth wrote:
>>

>>>I've upload a new version of the draft, which incorporates all the
>>>feedback I've received:
>>>
>>>http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-websec-origin-03.txt
>>>
>>>Please let me know if I've missed any feedback.
>>>

>>Hi Adam,
>>Sorry, I forgot to send out my comments on -02:
>>
>>3.2.1.  Examples
>>
>> All of the following resources have the same origin:
>>

>> http://example.com/
>> http://example.com:80/
>> http://example.com/path/file
>> http://example.com/
>>
>>The first and the last example are identical, was this intentional?
>>

>Nope.  Fixed.
>

>>4.  Origin of a URI
>>
>> The origin of a URI is the value computed by the following algorithm:
>>
>> 1.  If the URI does not use a server-based naming authority, or if
>>     the URI is not an absolute URI, then return a globally unique
>>     identifier.
>>
>>[...]
>>
>> 6.  If there is no port component of the URI:
>>
>>     1.  Let uri-port be the default port for the protocol given by
>>         uri-scheme.
>>
>>     Otherwise:
>>
>>     2.  Let uri-port be the port component of the URI.
>>
>>I know this is an obscure case, but what will this algorithm return for a
>>mailto URI (assuming that it is supported)? I am not entirely clear that # 1
>>applies here.
>>

>It's a globally unique identifier.  mailto doesn't use a server-based
>naming authority.  For example, here's a nutty mailto URI:
>
>mailto:alexey.melnikov@isode.com,websec@ietf.org
>
>Although the common case of mailto URLs does contain the name of a
>single server, the general case doesn't.  (Admitted, this probably
>isn't as clearly defined as it could be.

Exactly my point. At first I thought that you meant URI scheme which
allows for the <authority> component, but it seems like you are trying
to define a wider category.

>)
>

>>5.  Comparing Origins
>>
>>    NOTE: A URI is not necessarily same-origin with itself.  For
>>    example, a data URI is not same-origin with itself because data
>>
>>An Informative reference for the "data" URI scheme is needed here.
>>

>Done.
>

>>    URIs do not use a server-based naming authority and therefore have
>>    globally unique identifiers as origins.
>>

>>6.  Serializing Origins
>>
>> This section defines how to serialize an origin to a unicode string
>> and to an ASCII string.
>>
>>Both Unicode and ASCII need references, I think they are normative.
>>

>Ok.  Are these the best references?
>
>      <t>This section defines how to serialize an origin to a unicode <xref
>      target="RFC5198" /> string and to an ASCII <xref target="RFC20" />
>      string.</t>

Something like:

   [Unicode52]  The Unicode Consortium.  The Unicode Standard, Version
                5.2.0, defined by: "The Unicode Standard, Version
                5.2.0", (Mountain View, CA: The Unicode Consortium,
                2009. ISBN 978-1-936213-00-9).

for Unicode. Probably worth pointing to Unicode 6.0 though.

I think RFC 20 is Ok.

                <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.2.0/>.