Re: [websec] wrt "breaking pins" aka "un-pinning" (breakv, breakc directives; draft-evans-palmer-hsts-pinning-00)

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Tue, 18 October 2011 03:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:26:21 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Marsh Ray <marsh@extendedsubset.com>
Cc: Chris Evans <cevans@google.com>, IETF WebSec WG <websec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [websec] wrt "breaking pins" aka "un-pinning" (breakv, breakc directives; draft-evans-palmer-hsts-pinning-00)

I think that the complexity of pinning and the consequences of getting it
wrong are going to mean that this is something that should only be done by
the very competent and knowledgable or those who hand over administration of
their systems to such. This may be in the form of outsourced provision or
code that does the right thing and makes it hard to do the wrong thing.

I don't think the capabilities/ease of use of currently existing free DIY
cert signer kits should be the criteria to measure against. If this is going
to work people need to be using tools designed for the purpose of managing
the whole thing end to end. Even if that is only a Perl front end on those
fee tools, there is going to need to be something that walks the sysadmin
through.

Rather than look at the extent of the changes required, I prefer to look at
the number of components in the system that need to be touched. I would
rather make two separate modifications to the CA than one to the CA and
another to the Web server. In general, every piece of the system that has to
be touched costs when it comes to deployment.

We are going to have to touch the CA/cert server system to make pinning
work. (Even if only because the CAs are the people who explain to the
typical admin how to make all of this work). So far we do not need to make
changes to the Web server beyond adding static headers which is something
most Web servers already support.

Changing the TLS component of the Web server opens a box labelled 'code' and
gets us into some really long product cycle delays. Like on IIS for
example.