Re: [websec] [decade] URIs for DECADE -- Named Information URI Scheme

Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com> Wed, 26 October 2011 14:03 UTC

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:03:47 -0400
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>
To: Dirk Kutscher <Dirk.Kutscher@neclab.eu>, websec <websec@ietf.org>
Cc: "decade@ietf.org" <decade@ietf.org>, "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, "cdannewitz@uni-paderborn.de" <cdannewitz@uni-paderborn.de>, "rob.stradling@comodo.com" <rob.stradling@comodo.com>, "philliph@comodo.com" <philliph@comodo.com>
Subject: Re: [websec] [decade] URIs for DECADE -- Named Information URI Scheme

I think that is the best approach as well.

The WebSec use is purely to create a strong reference. I think that if we
can get convergence on the core spec quickly, the WebSec use should be
orthogonal.

The aim here is merely to ensure that we end up with one mechanism for
specifying digests of referenced objects rather than having slightly
different versions in different groups.

There are many interesting things that can be done with digest URIs. Some of
which will probably solve problems WebSEC faces. But DECADE is clearly the
best place to discuss those at the moment.

All that WebSEC will be using for the time being is the ability to refer to
securely a blob of security policy related data in a fashion that packages
all the crypto gubbins into one string of text.

DECADE is rather different because it is in effect describing a new and very
different form of URL. A traditional URL is a procedural content link, the
content is defined by the means of retrieval. An ni URI is also a locator in
that it MAY give one (or more) means of locating the data. But the data
itself is specified in a functional style. Any method of function evaluation
that produces the expected result is equally valid (but not necessarily
equally efficient).

I do have some proposals for using the digest URI that maybe fall outside
both WG charters. This is a notary technology that I think we need. But this
is something that simply has to be built on top of DECADE so that it can
have the acronym DECADE-Notary Technology, or DECADENT.