Re: [weirds] FW: I-D Action: draft-hollenbeck-dnrd-ap-query-01.txt

"Sascha E. Pollok" <sp@iphh.net> Tue, 08 May 2012 23:44 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 01:44:20 +0200
From: "Sascha E. Pollok" <sp@iphh.net>
To: John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
Cc: weirds@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [weirds] FW: I-D Action: draft-hollenbeck-dnrd-ap-query-01.txt

Gentlemen,

I am the new one.

>>> Would you mind clarifying reasons to have more than JSON + XML and how
>>> such reasons help RESTful WHOIS future?
>>
>> Supporting text/plain provides a migration path in the early stages of
>> deployment: clients can be updated to use the new transport protocol
>> without also having to also support the new format.
>
> As I understand it, the goal of WEIRDS is to create a spec that
> computers can use to query in a reliable way for the data that is
> currently served through WHOIS, and to get back responses that can
> be parsed mechanically.
>
> I'm having a great deal of trouble imagining an application where I'd
> implent the restful queries, but then try and grep the answers out of
> a text response rather than spending 10 minutes to call a JSON library
> and get a data structure I can use directly.

+1 for John's opinion. I would rather ask applications to migrate to
the new transport/XML+JSON instead of doing half of a migration and
using a new protocol with an old text-format. Of course we all know
that also the text-format can be parsed but I would object to
enabling a transition mechanism that could stay for longer^Hever.
JSON/XML parsers are too easy to implement to justify a text-output.

And as Simon wrote later, people can still convert the new structured
output (from XML in his suggestion) or JSON to text if required.

$0.02
-Sascha