Re: [weirds] REST-pect-ful

Andy Newton <andy@arin.net> Thu, 12 July 2012 14:07 UTC

From: Andy Newton <andy@arin.net>
To: "<patrick@vande-walle.eu>" <patrick@vande-walle.eu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:07:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.149.252.96]
Cc: "<weirds@ietf.org>" <weirds@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [weirds] REST-pect-ful

On Jul 12, 2012, at 2:19 AM, Patrick Vande Walle wrote:

> Agree with Andy   and others that multiple queries may  cause additional load that could possibly be avoided.
>
> On 11/07/12 22:39, Andy Newton wrote:
>> I lean more toward this approach as well. Though filling strings with "REFUSED" just leads some to think that a persons last name might be "REFUSED",
>
> Indeed. Especially if that person's name happens to be "Refused", which could happen.  I do not like the idea of having magic strings in lieu of field data.
> In the case of a field whose content should be hidden by policy, I suggest the field data should  be empty, but we could add an optional sub-structure related to policy.
>
> I just made up the example below for the purpose of demonstration:
>
> {
>     "BillingTelNum": {
>         "Description": "Billing Contact phone number",
>         "TelNum":
>               "Data": "",
>             "Policy": {
>                 "Status": "REDACTED",
>                 "Info": "See http://www.example.org/weirds-policy"
>                 }}}}}
>
> Patrick Vande Walle
>

>From the soon-to-be draft-designteam-weirds-using-http-01

9.  Common Data Structures

   This section defines two common data structures to be used by
   DNRD-AP, NRRD-AP, and other RD-AP protocols.  As such, the names
   identifying these data structures are not to be redefined by any
   registry specific RD-AP specifications.  Each of these datatypes MAY
   appear within any other data object of a response, but the intended
   purpose is that they will be mostly used in the top-most data object
   of a response.

   The first data structure is named "rdapConformance" and is simply an
   array of strings, each providing a hint as to the specifications used
   in the construction of the response.

   An example rdapConformance data structure.

     "rdapConformance" : [
       "nrrdap_level_0"
     ]

                                 Figure 9

   The second data structure is named "notices" and is an array of
   "notice" objects.  Each "notice" object contains a "title" string
   representing the title of the notice object, an array of strings
   named "description" for the purposes of conveying any descriptive
   text about the notice, and a "uri" string holding a URI referencing
   any a service that may provide additional information about the
   notice.

   An exmaple of the notices data structure.

     "notices" : [
       "notice" : {
         "title" : "Terms of Use",
         "description" : [
           "This service is subject to The Registry of the Moons",
           "terms of service."
         ],
         "uri" : "http://example.com/our-terms-of-use"
       }
     ]

                                 Figure 10

   This is an example response with both rdapConformance and notices
   embedded.

     {
       "rdapConformance" : [
         "nrrdap_level_0"
       ]
       "notices" : [
         "notice" : {
           "title" : "Content Redacted",
           "description" : [
             "Without full authorization, content has been redacted.",
             "Sorry, dude!"
           ],
           "uri" : "http://example.com/our-redaction-policies"
         }