Re: [weirds] Issue 4: http media types in RDAP replies

Jean-Philippe Dionne <jean-philippe.dionne@viagenie.ca> Wed, 20 March 2013 15:54 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:54:57 -0400
From: Jean-Philippe Dionne <jean-philippe.dionne@viagenie.ca>
To: weirds@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [weirds] Issue 4: http media types in RDAP replies

On 03/16/2013 03:30 PM, John Levine wrote:
> Proposed:
>
>     RDAP clients MUST include an Accept: header specifying
>     application/rdap, application/json, or both.  Servers receiving an
>     RDAP request MUST return an entity with Content-Type application/rdap.
>
>     This specification does not define the responses a server returns to
>     a request with any other media types in the Accept: header, or with no
>     Accept: header.  One possibility would be to return a response in
>     a media type suitable for rendering in a web browser.
>
> This is deliberately much less flexible, to make it easier for to
> interoperate.  If anyone has a plausible scenario in which an RDAP
> client can't provide an Accept header, or a server can't respond with
> application/rdap content type, please speak up now.

I agree with the proposed text.   We must also add a request to IANA for
the 'application/rdap' in the 'media-types' registry.  See below the
filled template taken from draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs-14

What about the +json suffix?
 From draft-ietf-appsawg-media-type-regs-14#section-3, we can read:
"Media types that make use of a named structured syntax SHOULD use the
  appropriate registered "+suffix" for that structured syntax when they
  are registered. "

Type name: application

Subtype name: rdap+json

Required parameters: none

Optional parameters: none

Encoding considerations: binary

Security considerations: none

Interoperability considerations: N/A

Published specification: draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-01

Applications that use this media type: RDAP Applications

Fragment identifier considerations: N/A

Additional information:

	Deprecated alias names for this type: N/A
	Magic number(s): N/A
	File extension(s): N/A
	Macintosh file type code(s): N/A

Person & email address to contact for further information: Andy Newton
<andy@arin.net>

Intended usage: COMMON

Restrictions on usage: None

Author: Andy Newton

Change controller: TBD

Provisional registration? (standards tree only): Yes

Thanks
Jean-Philippe