Re: When can we provide stable references to other standards bodies

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Thu, 29 September 2005 21:38 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:37:34 -0500
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: When can we provide stable references to other standards bodies
Sender: wgchairs-bounces@ietf.org

On Sep 28, 2005, at 4:29 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I hear you but not sure I buy it. We already provide non-changing
> pointers
> very early in the process. A draft name, draft-willis-sip-
> answeralert-01, is
> a non changing pointer. If a 3g spec references a tel URL draft, no
> one can
> finalize an implementation until the details of the TEL ABNF are
> final.

draft-willis-sip-answeralert-0x hopefully will change to RFC XXXX
eventually. Why should OMA have to re-issue some specification just
because IETF administratively changed the name of the document?

> If what they need is a placeholder for the RFC when it is
> finalized, then
> seems like the draft name should work. Feel free to whack me in the
> head
> here and tell me why a changing document reference by a 4 digit
> number is
> better than a draft name but it's not obvious to me.

Whack! Whack! Whack!

because they PROBABLY won't have to change RFC XXXX to RFC YYYY (only
OCCASIONALLY will we kill an IESG approved document before
publication or change it so dramatically that it immediately goes
historical) but they ABSOLUTELY WILL HAVE TO change draft-fluffy-
mondoidea-39 to RFC XXXX.

--
Dean