Re: [irsg] Meetecho for interims?

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Sun, 02 August 2020 02:53 UTC

Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 04:53:03 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Cc: Leif Johansson <leifj@sunet.se>, WG Chairs <wgchairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [irsg] Meetecho for interims?

Carsten:

What specifically are the technical risks for which you would not have joined
a ZVC meeting, such as one of the IETF108 side meetings that used zoom ?
(or for that matter of course future interims, which this thread is about)

If the reason is fear of unknown undetected security risk due to lack of
trust into the security diligence of ZVC, would using the RTCweb browser
client instead of the native client resolve this issue ?

IMHO:

If we want future interims like past interims to be publically announced
without participant auhentication, i think zoombombing would be a risk
for any platform we choose: meetecho, webex, zoom, BBB, whatever.

Given how an interim is meant to be public and i hope recorded, there
is no risk of undesired recording by third party either (as in: please go ahaead).

Leaves as the biggest risk AFAIK the problem of clients creating backdoors,
and i would hope that w3c/ietf work on browser client platform security
would be sufficient.

Of course, we could argue that we would like authentication for all IETF
activities to also overcome zoombombing risks, but then it would be really
nice to extend the cover of authentication if not also tooling to what
is currently called inofficial side meetings.

Cheers
    Toerless

P.S.: This is not meant to imply preference for any specific platform.

--
---
tte@cs.fau.de