Re: Multiple languages

Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au> Tue, 30 March 1993 02:34 UTC

Sender: ietf-wnils-request@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
To: ietf-wnils@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: Multiple languages
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1993 11:10:06 +0930
From: Mark Prior <mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au>

     Mark wrote:
     >We could probably define a contraint to do it, although you probably
     >want a format too, say something like
     >        mark prior : language=english, format=selection, attribute=mail
     >and have it return
     >
     >#SELECTION 1
     >#person "cn=Mark Richard PRIOR, ou=Communications and Systems Branch,
     >+ ou=Information Technology Division, ou=Registry, o=The University of
     >+ Adelaide, c=AU"
     > mail                mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au
     >#END
     >
     >Of course if this matches more than one entry then this may not be
     >enough, depending on what your handles look like, for the user to
     >distinguish which record they want.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had already left for the US
before your posting turned up in my mail box. Now I am at the IETF and
the link back to Oz is pretty sluggish so expect typos as corrections
are just too painful to make :-)

     Sounds good.
     If it matched more than one entry, what would the output look like?

I think you would get something like:

#SELECTION 2
#person "cn=Mark Richard PRIOR, ou=Communications and Systems Branch,
+ ou=Information Technology Division, ou=Registry, o=The University of
+ Adelaide, c=AU"
 mail                mrp@itd.adelaide.edu.au
#person "cn=Mark PRIOR, ou=Department of Suicidal Insanity, ou=Faculty
+ of Inconsiquential Sciences, o=The University of Adelaide, c=AU"
 mail                mp@dsi.adelaide.edu.au
     Why is person information being returned when I didn't request it?

That is specifying the template type of the record returned, in my
case it is really the object class of the X.500 record.

     If I wanted to ask for two attributes, what would the query look like, e.g.
         mark prior : language=english, format=selection, attribute=(person,mail)
     ?

I don't know you can either do it that way or it may be "easier" to
just say that you must have two constraints to do it, ie
        attribute=mail, attribute=facsimileTelephoneNumber

Mark.