[Wpack] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on charter-ietf-wpack-00-07: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 05 February 2020 17:31 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: wpack-chairs@ietf.org, wpack@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2020 09:31:37 -0800
Subject: [Wpack] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on charter-ietf-wpack-00-07: (with COMMENT)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-wpack-00-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-wpack/

COMMENT:

"* A low likelihood that the new format increases centralization or power
imbalances on the web. See discussion of this in
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-escape-report/>"

Unlike the other goals listed, it's hard to see how this is actionable. Will
the WG make design decisions differently whether this is in the charter or not?
If this working group were designing a system architecture or a protocol with
an architecture that implied relationships prone to centralization would need
to be created or strengthened for deployment purposes, perhaps this would be an
appropriate goal. But the scope here is to specify a format that will be used
in the context of the existing web with all of its existing centralization and
power imbalances derived from the economic properties of the businesses
operating within it. To me, stating this goal is sort of like saying we'll try
not to throw kindling on a forest fire that is already propelled by gale force
winds. We can say we'll do that, but what actually happens won't be determined
by whether we do it or not.