My comments on the IP over X.25 MIB

"Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com> Wed, 06 May 1992 21:39 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 May 1992 17:21:12 -0400
From: "Dean D. Throop" <throop@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To: x25mib@dg-rtp
Subject: My comments on the IP over X.25 MIB

After rolling in the changes from the last working group I noticed
some things in the IP over X.25 MIB that I would like some more
discussion about.

Should we record the time of the last translation failure?  This
would allow a manager to see if the last failure happened recently
or a long time ago.  It might also allow correlation of the failure
with other information.  To do so we would have to add objects
to record the last EnAddrToX121LkupFlrTime and
x121toEnaddrLkupFlrTime.

Should we record Q-bit failures on a Per PLE (interface) basis and
record the remote address rather than keep a per peer counter?
Right now we record address translation failures on a per interface
basis; shouldn't Q-bit failures be treated about the same?  Doing
this would also allow us to capture Q-bit failures from hosts
without entries in the peer table (for DDN hosts without any
entries this might be real nice).  It might also require less space
in agent memory to just keep one counter and an X121address then to
keep a counter for every peer.

Should we record the time of the last Q bit failure?

Should minimum open, idle, and hold down timers be kept on a per
PLE (interface) or per peer basis?  Per Peer allows control of
different values for different remote peers but requires more
memory to hold all the different values.

Should we record failures on a per system basis rather than a per
interface table?  Rather than having everthing per interface we
could make it global to the system; this might reduce the number of
objects required.

Think about these issues and let me know what your feelings.

Dean Throop		throop@dg-rtp.dg.com