[XCON] Control vs. Description protocol

orit at radvision.com (Orit Levin) Wed, 02 July 2003 08:56 UTC

From: "orit at radvision.com"
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:56:59 +0000
Subject: [XCON] Control vs. Description protocol

Hi!

I would like to bring to the discussion my concern about designing the CPCP
as a protocol around editing files (that describe the conferences).

In my opinion the CPCP needs to be a CONTROL protocol in addition to being
just a "Conference Description Protocol". Below are some of the arguments to
support this point of view:

2. CPCP is a protocol to be designed MOSTLY for the benefit of the end
users. (Operators may have other, not necessarily standard, means.) As a
result, a user must be able to get/modify/etc. his own view of the
conference or his position in the conference without being (necessarily)
exposed to the general conference view.

1. Each communication with the CPS needs to be short and effective.
Non-default conference creation is the only exception, may be. Even so,
means should be defined to make it as effective as possible: such as using
conference profiles.

What would be your thoughts?
Orit Levin
Chief Architect