[XCON] 3GPP Requirements on CPCP

drage at lucent.com (Drage, Keith (Keith)) Fri, 11 July 2003 11:08 UTC

From: "drage at lucent.com"
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:08:45 +0000
Subject: [XCON] 3GPP Requirements on CPCP

Independently of any discussion of which protocol is chosen, we do need to consider the implications on the radio interface of any protocol chosen. There would seem to be a number of decisions that it would be appropriate to make in this regard.

1)	Do we select/design a lightweight protocol, making efficient use of individual bits, or select/design a rather heavier weight text-based protocol and then compress it. Previous decisions in the SIP area would suggest we go for the latter, but there ought to be some explicit decision in this respect.

2)	Assuming that we opt for a protocol that requires compression, do we specify a standard compression algorithm, or do we select SIGCOMP (RFC3320) which allows downloading of the compression algorithm from sender to receiver. Again SIP has selected SIGCOMP as the appropriate protocol to perform compression and that could well be followed here.

3)	Assuming SIGCOMP is chosen, is there a need to specificy a dictionary.

4)	If a dictionary is specified, then is that dictionary one and the same dictionary as that specified for SIP (see RFC3485) is there a need for a different dictionary. (Note that if a second dictionary is specified, then this presumably increases the information that would need to be stored in a mobile handset, and this is a finite resource.)

5)	If compression is supported, is there a need for an indication in the protocol that the entity is willing to use compression, as specified already for SIP (see RFC3486).

Finally, it would need to be clarified in the XCON group as to which of these decisions should be made by XCON, and which it should let other groups do (e.g. for SIP the choice and design of the SIGCOMP was performed by the ROHC group).

regards

Keith