RE: URGENT REMINDER: [XCON] Conference Control: Path Forward

"Mary Barnes" <mary.barnes@nortel.com> Sat, 14 January 2006 00:39 UTC

Subject: RE: URGENT REMINDER: [XCON] Conference Control: Path Forward
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:38:47 -0600
From: Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>
To: Sean Olson <Sean.Olson@microsoft.com>, Adam Roach <adam@estacado.net>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: XCON-IETF <xcon@ietf.org>
Sender: xcon-bounces@ietf.org

Sean,

Thanks for re-starting this discussion.

There's actually a 2nd SOAP proposal that I submitted right near the
deadline that appeared on Jan 3rd:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barnes-xcon-ccmp-00.txt

This proposal is very preliminary as there's several TBD sections, but I
think it could be easily merged with Henning's COMP proposal as the
approaches are quite similar.

I think what we should be doing now is debating the advantages and
disadvantages of each of the proposals.  I had a chart in the package I
presented at IETF-64 during the framework discussion (chart 10):
http://www.softarmor.com/xcon/meets/ietf64/agenda.pl
This evaluation looked at some of the protocol motherhood statements and
I tried to work through a more detailed set of requirements, but kept
coming back to fundamentals such as:
1. Same protocol for data manipulation and conference operations.
2. Based on a protocol that's already implemented (or needing to be
implemented for other functionality) by clients.
3. Affinity with the data model to reduce the complexity.

I do think one of the difficulties is that we need to agree fundamental
requirements or priority of some of the motherhood requirements to see
which protocol is most suitable.

In considering the 3 protocols on the table (considering Henning's COMP
and CCMP as the same), I would still come up with a similar analysis as
that chart 10, which I'll summarize below (and apolgize in advance if
the formatting is funky):

                CCCP       CSCP     CCMP/COMP
Based on XML    Yes         No       No (but WSDL can be derived from
XML)

Existing        No        Yes(BFCP)  Yes
protocol

Event           Yes        Yes (?)    No (plan to use SIP)
Notification
Mechanism

Compact         No         Yes        No

Efficient       Yes        Yes        Yes

Easy to         Yes        Yes        Yes
Implement

And, I'm afraid this doesn't help much.  I think any of the approaches
could work. Of course, CCCP has been proven to work in one
implementation, but SOAP has been successfully implemented in many
implementations, albeit not for this application.  And, I think the
compact nature of CSCP might be appealing to the wireless folks.

Obviously, my preference is for the COMP/CCMP approach.

Mary