Keeping all the authors [xml2rfc]

elwynd at dial.pipex.com (Elwyn Davies) Mon, 09 January 2006 16:10 UTC

From: "elwynd at dial.pipex.com"
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:10:54 +0000
Subject: Keeping all the authors [xml2rfc]

I notice that the draft contents wrt authors and contributors; and their
addresses differs significantly from what is on the RFC Editor web pages
at http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html

      Authors vs. Contributors

Questions are still arising about the editorial policies on RFC
authorship, and the contents of the first page, of the Contributors
section, and of the Authors' Address section. We will attempt to clarify.

   1. When the RFC Editor refers to "authors", we mean exactly the set
      of names listed on the first page of an RFC. These people are
      considered to be equally responsible for the contents of the
      document, and all will be asked to read and approve the RFC before
      publication.

   2. When the RFC Editor refers to "contributors", we mean people,
      other than the authors, who also contributed significantly to the
      RFC. They should be listed in a Contributors section of the body
      of the document.

   3. The last section of the document (before the ISOC copyright
      statement) has traditionally been a section listing contact
      information for authors. The intent of this section is to tell
      readers how to get in touch with those people responsible for the
      document, to seek clarification, make comments, etc. This section
      should include contact information for all authors; it may contain
      contact information for some or all contributors. In unusual cases
      it might even include useful contacts who are highly relevant but
      are neither authors nor contributors. This section has been titled
      "Author(s)' Addresses", but this title is misleading. It really
      should be "Contact Information". It is the RFC Editor's intent to
      change the title of this section in the future to "Contact
      Information", after the community has had time to digest and
      accept the change.

   4. The issue has arisen: can/should the Contributors section include
      contact information? With the clarification above, it should be
      clear that the answer will be: "No, contact information should be
      in the Contact Information section." The Contributors section
      should just list the contributors. (It can also provide more
      fine-grained information about contributions.)

19 August 2003.

      Author Responsibility

The RFC Editor will hold all the people listed on the front page equally
responsible for the final form and content of the published RFC. In
particular, the "Author's 48 Hours" final approval period will require
signoff from all listed authors. There will be no "honorary" authors.

Go to Top. <http://www.rfc-editor.org/policy.html#policy.top>

      Author Overload

The IESG and IETF have ratified a policy of limiting the number of
authors listed in the first page header of an RFC. Objections to huge
author lists are both practical and ideological. The practical issues
have to do with the long-existing RFC formatting conventions that do not
comfortably handle large author lists. Ideological objections stem from
the Internet community's tradition of individual rather than corporate
action and responsibility. Some might see a list of 17 authors on one
RFC as motivated by a desire for corporate name-dropping, which would be
inappropriate in the IETF/RFC context. If there is a desire to
demonstrate how many companies are interested in this spec, a simple
acknowledgment section can accomplish the same thing, without Author
Overload.

The Internet community's conventions for RFC authors are one of the
distinctive features of the IETF culture. Most standards bodies publish
anonymous standards, whereas we attach the names of real people, who get
both credit and blame, to our specifications. (This is probably a result
of the historical beginnings of the IETF in the academic research
community.) The person(s) who actually write a document take
responsiblity for it, even though there may be a large working group of
several hundred people who potentially contributed to it. When there are
a number of significant contributors, there is usually a single person
tasked with integrating the results into a single document; that person
may be listed as "Editor", with acknowledgments for the other
contributors. Independent submissions presumably did not originate in an
IETF working group, but the same conventions should apply to any
informal industry group acting outside the IETF, when the resulting spec
is published as an RFC.

The specific policy is as follows:

   1. A small set of author names, with affiliations, may appear on the
      front page header. These should be the lead author(s) who are most
      responsible for the actual text. When there are many contributors,
      the best choice will be to list the person or (few) persons who
      acted as document editor(s) (e.g.,"Tom Smith, Editor").

      There is no rigid limit on the size of this set, but there is
      likely to be a discussion if the set exceeds five authors, in
      which case the right answer is probably to list one editor.

   2. An RFC may include a Contributors section, listing those
      contributors who deserve significant credit for the document
      contents. The Contributors section is intended to provide a level
      of recognition greater than an acknowledgment and nearly equal to
      listing on the front page. The choice of either, both, or none of
      Contributor and Acknowledgment sections in a particular RFC
      depends upon the circumstance.

   3. The body of an RFC may include an Acknowledgements section, in
      addition to or instead of a Contributors section. An
      Acknowledgments section may be lengthy, and it may explain scope
      and nature of contributions. It may also specify affiliations.

   4. The Author's Address section at the end of the RFC must include
      the authors listed in the front page header. The purpose of this
      section is to (1) unambiguously define author/contributor identity
      (e.g., the John Smith who works for FooBar Systems) and to (2)
      provide contact information for future readers who have questions
      or comments.

      At the discretion of the author(s), contact addresses may also be
      included in the Contributors section for those contributors whose
      knowledge makes them useful future contacts for information about
      the RFC.

   5. The RFC Editor may grant exceptions to these guidelines upon
      specific IESG request or in other exceptional circumstances.

This talks about possibly changing section names which doesn't seem to
have totally followed through into the draft.

Regards,
Elwyn