Re: [xml2rfc] xml2rfc online: references to I-Ds and associated dates

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Fri, 12 July 2019 13:16 UTC

To: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>, xml2rfc@ietf.org
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:16:24 +0200
Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] xml2rfc online: references to I-Ds and associated dates

Hi John,

On 2019-07-11 23:51, John C Klensin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I happened to look today at the reference produced for an I-D by
> xml2rfc (at least by the online version at
> https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/ )
>
> The XML for the relevant cited I-D says (irrelevant material
> elided and the identity of the I-D changed to avoid
> distractions):
>
>   <reference <reference anchor="ID.draft-ietf-foo-bar"
> 	 target="https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-foo-bar/">
>     <date month="June" day="12" year="2019" />
>     </front>
>   </reference>
>
> The output is "June 2019".

After looking through various output formats, my conclusion here
is that this is the output from the v2 text formatter, not the
v3 text formatter.  The v3 text formatter renders the date with
day, month, and year if all 3 are given.  So going forward, it
seems that this has already been addressed (assuming we leave the
v2 formatter untouched at this late stage in its life cycle).

Best regards,

	Henrik