[xml2rfc] minor nitlet I'd like flagged

brc at zurich.ibm.com (Brian E Carpenter) Sat, 31 March 2007 23:13 UTC

From: "brc at zurich.ibm.com"
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:13:23 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] minor nitlet I'd like flagged

On 2007-03-31 01:18, Bill Fenner wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Tony Hansen <tony@att.com> wrote:
>> Something I periodically trip over is forgetting to change the name of
>> the draft I'm writing from e.g. "-01" to "-02".
>>
>> It would be nice if xml2rfc could optionally check
>>
>>         <rfc ... docName="draft-ietf-xyz-01.txt">
>>
>> against the name of the file being processed, and warn if they don't
>> match up through the "-02" portion of the name.
>
> Just want to check on this, since it seems that different people have
> different usage models.  I tend to name things with short names that
> have no relationship to the output file, e.g.,
> draft-fenner-iana-exp-2780 was created by iana-experimental.xml .  Are
> you proposing that with this usage model, the warning should always
> trigger?

I personally use the full filename, but that is just my finicky
personality coming out ;-). I think that using a short form is
quite reasonable. But maybe, iff the name starts with draft- you can
process the version number?

>> PS. I use the online xml2rfc submission form.
>
> This is actually a sticky wicket: the online converter can return
> status or the converted file, but not both, so it chooses to ignore
> warnings in favor of supplying the converted file.
>
> Certainly it'd be possible to return an HTML status page that uses an
> http refresh header to download the converted document, but I'm not
> sure making that change would make us many friends (especially since
> right now you can easily script the online conversion).

Maybe add a 3rd "show warnings" alternative to the "output result" options?

    Brian