[xml2rfc] Confusing ToC spacing

fenner at research.att.com (Bill Fenner) Wed, 02 February 2005 08:50 UTC

From: "fenner at research.att.com"
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:50:11 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] Confusing ToC spacing

>possibly. the thing to keep in mind is that the toc generation by the
>rfc editor has changed over time...

Just for completeness, I wrote a script to run over the repository; of
the 555 documents that it was able to identify that have a ToC with a
section 9 and a section 10, 2 used the xml2rfc format, 209 used the
"always a single space" format, and 344 use the "decrease spacing" format
that I expected.  Of the 2 that use the form that xml2rfc format, one
(rfc2026) was clearly an error since sections 11 and on decrease spacing
again; the other (rfc2189) only has 10 sections so there's no way to
tell.

Using the population of rfc3???, the numbers change to 60 with single-space
and 267 with decrease-spacing.

>i guess the question is: is this really a problem?

I guess it depend on what your expectations are.  I think the increase
spacing format looks dumb.  I think the keep-same-spacing format looks
ok, and the decrease-spacing format looks good.

It's a minor issue, to be sure, but if you're tweaking the number of
spaces after a question mark in a sentence in the middle of the document,
why not tweak the ToC to be consistent with current and historical
practice?

  Bill
On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 08:50:05AM -0800, Bill Fenner allegedly wrote:
> >i guess the question is: is this really a problem?
>
> I guess it depend on what your expectations are.  I think the increase
> spacing format looks dumb.  I think the keep-same-spacing format looks
> ok, and the decrease-spacing format looks good.
>
> It's a minor issue, to be sure, but if you're tweaking the number of
> spaces after a question mark in a sentence in the middle of the document,
> why not tweak the ToC to be consistent with current and historical
> practice?

I agree.  If the column for the text changes based on the width of the
section number it's ugly and makes you look like a programming fred.
We expect better :-).