[xml2rfc] ABNF parser broken?

fenner at gmail.com (Bill Fenner) Sun, 27 January 2008 22:58 UTC

From: "fenner at gmail.com"
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 22:58:11 +0000
Subject: [xml2rfc] ABNF parser broken?

On Jan 27, 2008 10:47 AM, Pete Resnick <presnick@qualcomm.com> wrote:
> Is it just my document (see
> <http://resnick1.qualcomm.com/2822upd.xml> for a sample), or is the
> ABNF parser on xml2rfc busted?

This is something that I started struggling with when I started trying
to get a consistent story about spacing.

You use:

                    <figure>
<artwork type="abnf">quoted-pair     =   ("\" (VCHAR / WSP)) / obs-qp</artwork>
                    </figure>

which is perfectly sensible, except that the validator wants vertical
whitespace - it ignores the first line (or assumes that it's blank, or
I don't quite know what) and it wants a trailing newline (after all,
lines end with newline).  So I think you'll find that

                    <figure>
<artwork type="abnf">
quoted-pair     =   ("\" (VCHAR / WSP)) / obs-qp
</artwork>
                    </figure>

validates (but may or may not give you the spacing properties you
want, see previous endless discussion).

  Bill