Re: [xrblock] FW: New Version Notification for draft-huang-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc-00.txt

Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com> Thu, 03 July 2014 10:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 06:32:00 -0400
From: Alan Clark <alan.d.clark@telchemy.com>
To: "Huangyihong (Rachel)" <rachel.huang@huawei.com>, "xrblock@ietf.org" <xrblock@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [xrblock] FW: New Version Notification for draft-huang-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc-00.txt

Hi Rachel

A few quick comments:

(i) I would avoid the use of the term "lossless" to mean video with no
packet losses - "lossless" is usually used to mean that the video
encoding and decoding process introduces no distortion or error. You
could use "Loss Free Seconds" or be consistent with the other loss
concealment draft and use the terms concealed/ unconcealed.

(ii) I would suggest changing

"Interactive repairs need the communication between receiver and sender.
The receiving side using interactive repairs usually provides feedback
message to the sending side for specific help. Retransmission is an
effective interactive packet loss recovery technique for real-time
applications with relaxed delay bounds. The sender resends packets when
the sender notices the packets have been either damaged or lost.
Protocols which provide such technique use a combination of
acknowledgments, retransmission of missing and/or damaged packets. For
example, RTP retransmission [4588]. Besides retransmission, there are
two major feedback messages for asking for sender side repair FIR
(RFC5104) or PLI (RFC4585)."

"Error concealment may involve feedback from the receiver to the sender.
Retransmission may be used on connections with low delay or in
delay-insensitive applications; the receiver detects missing packets or
missing content and sends retransmission requests to the sender,
typically using RTCP messages (RFC 4585, RFC 4588, RFC 5105 ). Other
forms of feedback include control of the rate of forward error
correction (FEC) codes and encoder parameters."

(iii) I would tend to use the term Retransmission rather than
Interactive Repair for Video Loss Concealment Method as other forms of
interactive repair would overlap with other terms (e.g. dynamic control
of FEC rate would be an Error Resilient method).

(iv) Some of the language in the draft was reused word-for-word from
other documents (e.g. Section 3 incorporates wording from my email to
the XRBLOCK on 10/10/12) - you should attribute this appropriately.

Regards

Alan