Re: [16NG] Re: suggest separation of IPv4 from document (was: I-DACTION:draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00.txt)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Mon, 18 December 2006 11:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:02:37 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: "Riegel, Maximilian" <maximilian.riegel@siemens.com>
Subject: Re: [16NG] Re: suggest separation of IPv4 from document (was: I-DACTION:draft-ietf-16ng-ip-over-ethernet-over-802.16-00.txt)
Cc: 16ng@ietf.org

Riegel, Maximilian wrote:
> There is reason to keep both versions in one document. As you can
> figure out, most of the document applies to both IPv4 as well as IPv6
>  and only small parts are IP version specific. This will become more
> visible when we are fully leveraging RFC4541 for IPv6 transmission in
>  the next version. And even in the combined version the ducument is
> very handy; less than 20 pages do not qualify a split.

Maximilian, thanks for the email.

If you think there is reason to keep both versions in one document, and
your co-authors too and the WG too - then I'm fine.

I do not know of any other IP over foo document that treats both IPv4
and IPv6.  This may be the first one.  I think it can be too complex,
but I will not insist on this.

> The I-D does not intend to replace RFC2464 or RFC894 but provides
> 'lower layer' additions to make Ethernet over 802.16 looking like
> standard Ethernet to the IP layer, even when not all messages are
> going over the air like in 'plain' Ethernet.

I think this is lower layer additions that are not IP, and that should
be suggested to IEEE, not at IETF.  I mean, a ND Relay only pertains to
802.16.  And so I think it should be part of IEEE, or at most
informational track at IETF.

Do you see any other link using ND Relay?  (other than 802.16)?

Thanks,

Alex